• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

problem with 95 contour se 2.5 not starting

derricknotorious

New CEG'er
if i let the car sit for a week it will start and run but it runs a little rough and you can drive it around. but if you turn it off it will not start until you let it sit again. i have replace the ign control module and it is still doing the same thing what should i check first.

There could be many reasons.

Next time try pushing the gas pedal halfway. If it starts right up, it could be the Idle Air Control valve (IACvalve).

If that doesn't work, try pushing the gas pedal all the way down. This shuts off the fuel injectors. If this works, there is a chance the cylinders are "washed out". The engine usually sounds like it is spinning very fast until it starts. And it is because the engine cylinder has lost compression. If that still doesn't work, then remove two spark plugs, put two teaspoons of engine oil in the cylinders, reinstall spark plugs and start. This helps regain compression.

At 13 years old, the piston rings are not as "tight" anymore and losing compression every now and then, does happen every now and then. ;)

i tried to start it yesterday it ran but as soon as i turned it off it wouldnt restart do u think it would lose compression like that that fast? i tried to put the pedal to the floor and it still wouldnt start now if i wait in a week it will start this is crazy. oh when it did get it started blue smoke was coming out of the exhaust as long as i had my foot on the gas and when i took my foot of the gas and let it idle there was a little puffs of blue smoke and it was running rough.

it isnt running rich its burning oil i dont have any check engine lights on either i replaced both cats and o2 sensors too.

... oh when it did get it started blue smoke was coming out of the exhaust as long as i had my foot on the gas and when i took my foot of the gas and let it idle there was a little puffs of blue smoke and it was running rough.
Sure sign of worned out piston rings. Nothing much you can do except to do the gas pedal all the way down trick or teaspoon of engine oil trick.

Of course, there is the other option. You could rebuild the engine. ;)

i tried the oil trick it still doesnt start i charged up the battery too. i pulled one of the spark plug wires off and i stuck a screwdriver in it and put it on the block turned the engine over and i am getting no spark.

Last edited:
i am getting power to the pcm but i am not getting any spark from the coil i checked all of the no spark and i changed the ignition module too the only way i can get this car started is to wait for about 2 weeks and it starts right up u just cannot turn it off

Back