• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Question about drilled/slotted rotors

There is nothing to keep them from being machined. You may have a hard time finding a machinist that believes you though. I have turned many of them. You may not be able to use a real aggressive speed or cut, but that isn't good workmanship anyway.

with rotors being so cheap and the potential that machining will not fix the problem I would just grab new rotors...braking is somewhat important.

when i replaced my dads brakes i had his fronts turned. didn't fix the "warped" feel problem. wasted money. so if you feel they are warped just replace them. but if you just need them resurfaced then go for it. (for new pads)

Most places don't like to turn drilled/slotted rotors, because its a risk to thier tools. Every time the tool passes over a slot or hole, it can hook, and break the cutting tool on the lathe, or even worse, it can break the lathe itself. This is why a lot of shops don't like to do it.

"Warped" rotors are rarely actually warped, and I mean VERY rarely. Generally it is one of two things, either uneven wear on the rotor, resulting in varying rotor thickness, or uneven transfer of pad material to the rotor face, again, also resulting in varying rotor thickness.

When you get your rotors turned, try to have it done by a place that can turn both faces of the rotor simultaneously. This way you know that both faces are true to each other. If they are done seperately, you can have two flat rotor faces that aren't parallel, and still have a thickness variation, which means you will still have that "warped" rotor feeling.

Another thing to consider, that wheel bearings with extra play will allow the rotor to "flop" around a bit relative to the caliper, and will allow the rotor to just touch the face of the pad while you are cruising down the highway. The rotor will wobble back and forth, and wear the opposite faces of the rotor on opposite sides, and give you some pretty good rotor thickness variation, and thus, the "warped" rotor syndrome.

So, in summary, yes you can turn drilled/slotted rotors, but there is a decent bit of risk for the tools doing it. Warped rotors aren't actually warped. When turning rotors, try to have both faces done simultaneously. And keep your wheel bearings / axles torqued correctly, and replace them when you first realize they are going bad, or you will have to do brake rotors too.

Back