• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear won't leave the ground

If you can't figure out how to get the wheels off the ground, you might want to take it to a mechanic, since you shouldn't be working on it. Something MIGHT be wrong with the car, but you still have to jack it up to find out what is wrong.

whats the lift hieght on this brand new jack? if its less than 14"'s that could be your problem. I have one that will lift the contour almost 2.5ft off the ground and my car sits less than 4" off the ground with my non stock rims and tires.

GET A BETTER JACK!!!

If you can't figure out how to get the wheels off the ground, you might want to take it to a mechanic, since you shouldn't be working on it. Something MIGHT be wrong with the car, but you still have to jack it up to find out what is wrong.

I do have to agree here.

Also, as they age, you have to pump the handle more times to get it up.
That's why they sell Viagara...

...oh you meant the hydraulic cylinder seals. Silly me.

I bet it's one of the $15-20 jacks. They do not have the lift height to raise the rear tires off the ground when the fronts are already up.

I have this exact jack. Cheap, yes, but functional.

I can lift the whole side of the car from the rear jackpoint. If I want the whole rear off the ground, I leave the front down. I don't think I've ever tried to do all four at once. If I need that, I have access to a lift, so I take it there.

HTH.

Back