• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

K&N Ru-3530 (for newbies who want to mod their contour/mystique)

m4gician

Hard-core CEG'er
Putting one of these into your car is probably one of the cheapest mods you can afford/want to add if this is your first time or you're fairly new to CEG, all I can say after just installing mine, that sound is nice. You just want to drop the hammer just to hear the sound (remove your headliner). Thanks again to Auto-X Fil as well as Tony and the rest of the guys here at CEG.

I just installed my RU3530 today. It sounds pretty sweet but the sound is inconsistant. Every once in a while it will sound stock. For instance I'll rev to 3k in 2nd. A little later I will do the same and it will sound stock. Does this happen to anyone else? Any chance it has anything to do with the fact that I only have 3 of the 4 bolts connecting the maf and maf adapter(i either lost it on immediately opening the package or it was never sent to me :shrug:)?

On cold start up or when the A/C is on the RU-3530 will really pronounce any 'moosing', if that is what you are referring to.

As for the 'sucking' sound, mine is relatively consistent regardless of when I am driving; maybe when its really hot or boggy its not as loud, but it pretty much always there. Make sure the filter is on there nice and tight.

EDIT: Yeah, missing the 4th bolt might be the problem.

Last edited:
HSFinal1.jpg

There's a shot of mine with my home-made heatshield. I do need to redo it to block off more of the engine bay but its a start.

In the pic it looks like you pulled out the plastic air thingy that comes from the fender. Is that a 2000 thing or not? I'd also like to know what is all involved with the instalation of one of these..(maf adapter - I know the K&N slips on)

You'll need a MAF adaptor, Filter of choice, most use the K&N RU-3530, and some way to put in the IAT (Intake Air Temp.) sensor. You will unbolt the MAF from the stock airbox, pull out the IAT sensor, it just rotates and then pulls out. Remove the airbox and rubber sampling tube. Then, unbolt the fender air duct if you wish, this step isn't necessary but allows a little more air to get in through the fender. Then, bolt up the MAF Adaptor to the MAF, install IAT sensor and filter and fire up. Also, this is not a bad time to clean out your intake manifolds or optimize your Throttle Body, but both of these are much more involved than installing the intake.

I think that should cover everything... Oh yea, if your MAF adaptor doesn't have an IAT inlet, you can still put an intake on. You can either grab some tubing and a T or grab the setup from BAT. Just a side note, this only applies to non-SVT cars because the SVT IAT samples from further back, in the main rubber tube, than the Non-SVT's due to the different intake setup

Hopefully this helps....

On my setup, my MAF Adaptor didn't have a hole for the IAT sensor so, since the adaptor was plastic and very thick, I drilled a hole for the MAF and took my dremel and cut back so it would sit properly in the adaptor.

Here's a noobie explanation that I first wanted when I started modding my car (when I mean noobie I'm kinda stereotyping a younger person whom might have a contique as their first car, though please take my explanation seriously if you're new under the hood). Basically here is what you need to do/think about.

The K&N RU-3530 is an Open air filter, very nice, but it's a univeral filter with no specific application. I mean you can order it, but you'll have no way of attaching it to your MAF (what your STOCK air filter and air filter box are attached to) which goes through your throttle body and into your engine.

Hence the MAF adaptor, it's an adaptive bracket that's designed to fit inside the filter and provide you the mounting points to your MAF. Make sure oyu have a rubber gasket fitted between the filter MAF adaptor and the actual MAF.

Retail the cost of each NEW is $38.50 or the Filter (from ajusa.com)
and about $50 for the MAF adaptor from BAT or ctamotorsports (links are on FAQ I believe).

NOW used from another CEG'er is a better deal, but those go pretty quick, so if you find one those are good as well because these filters are made to last.

Back