• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A$$ sag and other suspension woes

codypka

Veteran CEG'er
As per the advise of my mechanic, I replaced my struts (with BAT Kit), strut mounts (all 4), and front sway bar links. But i'm still having some issues with the suspension:

1. A$$ sag. The rear now sits a solid inch lower than the front. Is this a result of replacing the front end links and not the rears? Or could something else be causing this?

2. I still have a rather annoying rattle coming from the area of the rear-passenger wheel well. Its audible over smaller bumps mostly, and is a very recognizable metal-on-metal sound. My mechanic said this was being caused by the strut mounts, but obviously this wasn't the cause. Could this also be the end links?

As per the advise of my mechanic, I replaced my struts (with BAT Kit), strut mounts (all 4), and front sway bar links. But i'm still having some issues with the suspension:

1. A$$ sag. The rear now sits a solid inch lower than the front. Is this a result of replacing the front end links and not the rears? Or could something else be causing this?

2. I still have a rather annoying rattle coming from the area of the rear-passenger wheel well. Its audible over smaller bumps mostly, and is a very recognizable metal-on-metal sound. My mechanic said this was being caused by the strut mounts, but obviously this wasn't the cause. Could this also be the end links?

The rear links could definitely be causing your rattle, but I don't know why the rear would sit any lower than the front unless you didn't replace your springs with the new struts?

The rear links could definitely be causing your rattle, but I don't know why the rear would sit any lower than the front unless you didn't replace your springs with the new struts?

i replaced everything with the full BAT kit. 4 new BAT struts and 4 BAT springs

did you measure to verify? you really can't just go by eye. the rear wheel wells aren't the same size as the fronts..alot of ass sag cases can be confused with that.

You might want take it that the rear wheel well curves lower than your front, making you think the rear is lower than the front to the eye. But measure the ground to the top of the wheel well for front and back. Not the rim of the wheel well.

If it is off and the rear is lower then you might have gotten bad springs.

i went outside and measured from ground straight up

fronts: 26"
rears: 24 and 3/4"

.... i wasn't seeing things. Even bigger difference than i thought

i always measure from the front and back edges of the side skirts since the rear wheel well is lower than the front.

i dont believe measuring at the wheel wells would be accurate, if you had the car sitting on level ground on 4 jack stands the rear wheel well would still be lower. i just replaced my suspension a few weeks ago with the bat euro kit and all 4 mounts and the rear of my car looks lower also. i think the best way would be to measure at the ends of the side skirt.

exactly. for reference my SVT with B&Gs and stock wheels/tires measures 25.5" at the front wheel well and 25.5" at the rear wheel well. If i measure at the side skirts its 4.5" at the front and 6" at the back.

i just went and measured mine and got the same measurements as cody . i also measured each end of sideskirt and the front was 3/4 higher. i still dont see a problem, i believe new stock suspension would look the same as our set up.

Last edited:
Back