• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Legal or Illegal?

kw8z3boi

Veteran CEG'er
So my gf bought an air freshener today, those kind that you stick it in the 12V CigLighter. It lights up with a LED PINK, so I was wondering if is it illegal for her to drive with that PINK LIGHT at night???

Why would it be illegal? Cars have every color you can think of in various interior things. TV screens and stuff that can be seen by the driver are illegal.

Having any sort of lighting on while driving is illegal, at least in michigan. Dome lights, accent lights, interior lights, neons, all illegal while driving.

As long as the led isnt very bright you won't have a problem, but if it is really bright you will want to remove it.

Right, if it would interfere with driving... either through reflection on the windshield, or shining in the driver's face. I don't think like the passenger having the map light on is illegal though.

Well I guess what she have is illegal then. At night it looks like she have neon lights for her cup holder. Well she have something similar to this

9722_1_b.JPG

Haha true but she tried most air freshener and it all lasted only about a week. So she want to use those 12v Lighter to see how long they will last.

Black ice trees. Hang them in the glove box. They last forever.

Haha true but she tried most air freshener and it all lasted only about a week. So she want to use those 12v Lighter to see how long they will last.

Could you post what she finds in the end? I've been wanting a 12v air freshener for a while...although I don't know how I would feel about having it near my cup holder/drinks...

personally if a cop told me that interior lights were illegal i would tell him to read me the exact law out of the book and if he didnt present it to me id get all his information and go straight to the judge and file a big fat complaint with the officer. most cops are idiots around here and think they are all mighty. if i were to report half of the stuff ive seen cops do i dont think there would be many left. ive been run off the road (out of my lane) more than a few times and so pissed off that i forget to get the guys number so i can call it in. and usually they take off without their lights on so it makes it a double negative. i know cops around here who speed without their lights on can be removed from the force.

end rant

the moral... put the thing in. tell her if a cop pulls her over to just unplug it cause he cannot prove anything without actually seeing it plugged in. he may as well tell the judge he saw a flying saucer :laugh:

personally if a cop told me that interior lights were illegal i would tell him to read me the exact law out of the book and if he didnt present it to me id get all his information and go straight to the judge and file a big fat complaint with the officer. most cops are idiots around here and think they are all mighty. if i were to report half of the stuff ive seen cops do i dont think there would be many left. ive been run off the road (out of my lane) more than a few times and so pissed off that i forget to get the guys number so i can call it in. and usually they take off without their lights on so it makes it a double negative. i know cops around here who speed without their lights on can be removed from the force.

end rant

the moral... put the thing in. tell her if a cop pulls her over to just unplug it cause he cannot prove anything without actually seeing it plugged in. he may as well tell the judge he saw a flying saucer :laugh:

Haha they'll pobably make her step out of her car and they'll search her car haha.

ya some cops are sick :censored:holes and will find anything to search a young lady's car. honestly as long as the light does not point directly at the driver they have no grounds for a ticket. if they decide to be like the cops around here... all she has to do is take it to the DA (District Attorney) and get it written off free of charge.

disclaimer: not all cops are bad, in fact i know a few that are really cool. there are just a lot of really crooked ones out there unfortunately.

Back