• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Weird ABS issue...

krad77

New CEG'er
Well....it seems that the ABS likes to kick on when it doesn't have any need to do so....any time I hit the brake to stop, the ABS kicks in. My brother cleaned the wheel speed sensors to see if that would help, but I am not sure if he thoroughly cleaned the front ones:rolleyes: I don't know if one of the sensors might be bad??? Any suggestions from those who might have had a similar issue, feel free to offer advice.:laugh: Thanks!

The general response people gave me was that there could be cracks in the reluctor rings (or something of that nature) which are on your drive shafts and almost directly behind the hub. The cracks set off the sensor and abs kicks in at real low speeds.

I haven't fully diagnosed mine yet because it stopped in the cold weather, but i'm pretty sure that's what the issue is.

ABS kicks in around 2 mph or so when stopping and vibrates the pedal?

The general response people gave me was that there could be cracks in the reluctor rings (or something of that nature) which are on your drive shafts and almost directly behind the hub. The cracks set off the sensor and abs kicks in at real low speeds.

I haven't fully diagnosed mine yet because it stopped in the cold weather, but i'm pretty sure that's what the issue is.

ABS kicks in around 2 mph or so when stopping and vibrates the pedal?
yeah, if I brake at high speeds, nothing. It's always when coming to a complete stop, and right before I stop, so yeah, really low speeds, the pulsating starts along with a very subtle buzz-like sound (the ABS I assume?) I'll pass the idea about the reluctor rings to my brother aka backyard mechanic:laugh:

yeah, if I brake at high speeds, nothing. It's always when coming to a complete stop, and right before I stop, so yeah, really low speeds, the pulsating starts along with a very subtle buzz-like sound (the ABS I assume?) I'll pass the idea about the reluctor rings to my brother aka backyard mechanic:laugh:

Yeah then it is the same issue i have. Check them good, because even a hairline crack can cause the problem. The rings look like gears right off the driveshaft.

So, is there a way to test the sensors, to see which one has gone bad?

Back