• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sweet suspension pics...

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
Oh very sweet indeed...

My car started banging really good from the drivers side rear strut all of a sudden Thurs. last week. I took a quick look at it at work and the spring looked fine that side of the car wasn't sagging or anything so I was like hmmm.. whatever I have to get into work.

So I didn't drive the car the rest of the week and looked into it on Sat.

First thing I noticed was the wheel was way closer to the fender lip towards the rear door compared to the passenger side. I measured and the passenger side was about 1.5in while the driver side was about 0.5in but the wheel was still straight.

Well after jacking up the car and making a trip to the junk yard Sunday to fix it. Here was the problem.

p1010001ct3.jpg

p1010003sz3.jpg

Isn't that sweet. :nonono: but at least it was only a $7 fix.

I have no idea how this happened. However if I had to take a guess it was because I left my car jacked up on it's side for a day, which may have put pressure on that trailing arm for that rear wheel. This may have caused it to buckle.

Last edited:
My first thought was "What the H$@L did you hit?"(then read the rest) Something tells me that that could be a problem... congrats on fixing the problem before it did some costly damage.

did it ever make a chinging sound(can't really describe the sound).

Chinging... as in the spring smacking the frame or strut bottoming out... yes it did.

doesn't look like it's from leaving it jacked up, the rust and buckled paint looks like it's been there for awhile.

I don't think so I would have noticed the rear wheel being that close to the fender when I wash it. I wash the car once a week usually on Fridays during the winter.

Back