• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MODDED 2000 SF SVT !ENGINE FIRE! at auction facility....

So... the 3L/Turbo/Headers ect ect would all be ok or? Understandable about all the parts that are rubber and would melt but I am more wondering if the bearings in the turbo are toast because of the heat, if the gaskets on the 3L are shot ect ect. To me... it looks like it got pretty hot under there, but how hot would it need to get to really jack up the major components of the engine, and upgrades.

I would replace everything ...

Can you support that statement with reason?

Lets say for instance, the gaskets on the 3L are toast, you wouldn't just pull it and replace the gaskets? I find it hard to believe that it got hot enough to warp the block or anything. I am looking into buying this car, so its not like I am just bored and want to chat it up with someone, this is a serious questioning of what happened.

well, yes all the metal parts might be fine, it depends on how hot they got and it the structure of the metal was altered. I bet it was hosed down or something to put the fire out. This would mean that everything was cooled quickly, most rapidly cooled metals become brittle.

personally, I would just replace everything to ensure there are not problems down the road.

I don't think this car was reposesed but rather the insurance co paid some amount for a claim and as a result now own the car. The op seems to be trying to buy the car from the ins co. Most likely there would be a salvage title involved if it is sold.

I would like someone to provide me with some educated speculation of what damage most likely was caused with the engine fire. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Engine fires were far more common during the time I was active as a technician, especially in the 70's. I did a lot of fire jobs. They were far from my favorite assignment.

A direct answer to your question is that there is not enough information here to even venture a guess. Everyone is different. From the pictures posted here I'm not sure if I would take it to part out if it was given to me. The damage looks extensive.

Engine fires were far more common during the time I was active as a technician, especially in the 70's. I did a lot of fire jobs. They were far from my favorite assignment.

A direct answer to your question is that there is not enough information here to even venture a guess. Everyone is different. From the pictures posted here I'm not sure if I would take it to part out if it was given to me. The damage looks extensive.

I disagree with not purchasing, not just because I was going to, but because you have to work out the sale prices of all the good parts and take what you have invested off the top. I have made a basic list and then there are more parts left in the car that you make the random $20-$40 on.....

+++ Rear TCE brake kit alone was $579 and all of that is there
+++Stage 2 Axles $400
+++Strut braces $200
+++stock wheels & tires $200
+++trans $1,000
+++exhaust $250
+++interior $2-350
+++rear bumper $250
+++skirts $200
+++DMD $30
+++SCT pro racer package $200
+++arizona dyno chip $100
+++UIM is probably good $150
+++GCs and Konis with camber plates $600
+++rear aussiebar 24mm $100
+++aftermarket door speakers $150
+++steeda billet pedals $40
+++door glass $40
+++trunk lid $50

Just on that stuff listed above would bring you around $4,600!
-the auction, shipping, etc.. for less than $2k. You have over $2500 worth of parts...... ???? Justify why not to buy it besides saying "it's toast". Buy to part it out not to fix. It has a salvage title that is why it is at a salvage vehicle auction facility.

Thanks to everyone who has responded in this thread and PM's. Specially a big thanks to Blu Fuz for spending a stupid amount of time in PM's with me.

It really seems to be divided across the board on what is most likely ok and what is not. Probably because of Big Jim's comment that there just isn't enough to go off of with the pictures provided.

I am set up with the auction and awaiting a specific date of when the car will go up for auction.... Hopefully if I do get it, it will be more of a positive than a negative. :eek:

PS - Bagged, maybe I can get my own window trim now... :laugh: (he really isn't going to talk to me anymore) :blackeye:

If everything works out for you and the people you know, you will get this to close to $1500 only. Ask the auction place if they can send you pictures. They might.... :shrug:

I disagree with not purchasing, not just because I was going to, but because you have to work out the sale prices of all the good parts and take what you have invested off the top. I have made a basic list and then there are more parts left in the car that you make the random $20-$40 on.....

+++ Rear TCE brake kit alone was $579 and all of that is there
+++Stage 2 Axles $400
+++Strut braces $200
+++stock wheels & tires $200
+++trans $1,000
+++exhaust $250
+++interior $2-350
+++rear bumper $250
+++skirts $200
+++DMD $30
+++SCT pro racer package $200
+++arizona dyno chip $100
+++UIM is probably good $150
+++GCs and Konis with camber plates $600
+++rear aussiebar 24mm $100
+++aftermarket door speakers $150
+++steeda billet pedals $40
+++door glass $40
+++trunk lid $50

Just on that stuff listed above would bring you around $4,600!
-the auction, shipping, etc.. for less than $2k. You have over $2500 worth of parts...... ???? Justify why not to buy it besides saying "it's toast". Buy to part it out not to fix. It has a salvage title that is why it is at a salvage vehicle auction facility.

As long as he goes into it with his eyes open I have no problem with him getting that car. Also he should be aware that some of those prices may be optimistic. The used TCE brake kit probably will not bring in nearly as much as new parts.

Just the fact that he wants it so badly is likely to drive up the cost. This is certainly one case where one of the biggest rules in negotiating comes into play. "He who cares the least wins."

I understand what you are saying about some of the parts not being worth the new price. But if he was planning on getting the TCE kit he could have this one for free and sell everything else off. This is how I looked at it and justified buying it:
-I would take the parts off that are waay to expensive and I knew I would never buy them because of the price.
-Then I would sell off everything else and just to break even and really nothing more. (not that I wouldn't try to get extra cash)

That's what I did with my last parts car and I would do it again. I kept like $1500 worth of parts for myself and sold the rest of the car for $200 less than I bought it for.

I sold $500 more worth of parts that I kept and I ended up with a free interior, custom exhaust, lifetime tires, and a plethera of extra random switches and such.... all for a little time in my garage and dirty hands. Then I used that $500 cash I made to buy the Baer Kit I have....

Now that is a deal to me, not actually trying to make a ton of cash on a deal but just walk away clean with some pretty sweet and possibly rare parts.....

Last edited:
Hmmm.. If it doesnt work out for him Joe, I may be able to work something out for ya.

I wish I could accept the help, but I am getting married in August and my fiance is not to enthusiastic about spending our wedding $ on another ford contour.....

Just the fact that he wants it so badly is likely to drive up the cost. This is certainly one case where one of the biggest rules in negotiating comes into play. "He who cares the least wins."

Originally I was going to try to get the car for Blu Fuz, but my connect wasn't comfortable having someone that he or myself didn't know personally using his license. Which as I told Blu Fuz was understandable. I personally feel that he should be able to get the car, since he did all the work and research to work towards getting it.

But, when that was decided I looked at it as an opportunity not only for me to get some stuff for my own car, and maybe make a little chedda in the process. Believe me, I am not excited in anyway shape or form to buy this and dip into what might be wrong. I just think its an opportunity that I would be foolish to pass up. If I don't get it, I won't lose any sleep over it.

But, when that was decided I looked at it as an opportunity not only for me to get some stuff for my own car, and maybe make a little chedda in the process. Believe me, I am not excited in anyway shape or form to buy this and dip into what might be wrong. I just think its an opportunity that I would be foolish to pass up. If I don't get it, I won't lose any sleep over it.
That is the perfect way to think about it. I hope you have a chance to widen your collection of aftermarket SVT parts :)...

Back