• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

should i get a paint job? (pics)

Yep that's it. Like mentioned before, some sanding may need to be done, but they are usually just "roll on" and go.

ok cool thanks guys. Do you think i should more than one pen? the scratch is prolly almost 2 feet long haha.

also, how would an autobody shop fix the scratch if i took it in? same way i was talking about doing it with just repainting a section?

ok cool thanks guys. Do you think i should more than one pen? the scratch is prolly almost 2 feet long haha.

also, how would an autobody shop fix the scratch if i took it in? same way i was talking about doing it with just repainting a section?

One pen should suffice.

I'd assume a shop would do it that way, but then again, i'm not a shop. :laugh:

My bumper had a crack in the fog light exactly like yours. Everytime I would fix and re-paint it, it would break in the same spot. Just wasn't worth it after a while. I'm still looking to get a new one.

I got the paint pen, and it worked great. up close, you can tell that there was a scratch there, but looks good.

i just have one more question, would a wetsand/polish be a good idea? i was thinking about having a local shop do my whole car. it takes off the clearcoat right? so what would happen to the scratch that i touched up? would it blend it in and make it look good, or would it just sand the new paint right off?

unless your car is in really rough shape you shouldnt need to sand it. you could probably just polish and wax it. good wax should blend it in so well you wont even notice it up close. Wetsanding should only take a small amount of clear coat off, but I think contours are done with single stage paint not base clear, so there would be no clear coat, lol I dont really remember.

edit* sanding would remove the highest layers of paint. the paint on the scratch should be left intact.

Got my rear and front bumper fixed and painted, passenger sideskirt, passenger mirror, and 4 window vent visors all painted silverfrost for $400 and it looks pretty good. and then i went in the ditch the next night for the first time in my life and my front bumper looks worse then before......

Got my rear and front bumper fixed and painted, passenger sideskirt, passenger mirror, and 4 window vent visors all painted silverfrost for $400 and it looks pretty good. and then i went in the ditch the next night for the first time in my life and my front bumper looks worse then before......

Talk about some crappy luck. 400$ to paint all those parts? Man, i wish i could get a deal like that.

Back