• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

should i get a paint job? (pics)

-scuff original clear with DA sander
-clean
-mask
-apply color
-wet sand
-clean
-apply color
-wet sand
-clean
-clear
-wet sand
-clean
-clear
-wet sand
-buff

:drool:

I got all that minus the roof painted. The skirts, trunk, hood, and bumpers were prepped and painted off the car and I would recommend that for you as well.

I paid $1300 for everything minus the roof, FYI.

First show after re-paint:
X.jpg

Z.jpg

Joes_Pre-98.3.jpg

Joes_Pre-98.2.jpg

Last edited:
they probably gave you such a good price because they felt bad for you that they were painting it purple.:blackeye:

J/K fuz i love that car

Last edited:
Damn it bagged. :laugh: Probably true :shrug: But it is midnight red and happens to be a very manly color btw.

Last edited:
Definitely get a paint job if its in the budget. Hopefully the bumper is repairable. And dont forget to post pics after the paint.

Definitely get a paint job if its in the budget. Hopefully the bumper is repairable. And dont forget to post pics after the paint.

dunno, its not lookin to good for the paintjob. i havnt talked to my friend (the painter) about it yet, but in the past week my car has gone through alot, the check engine light came on which i havnt gotten a chance to check it out yet, and now theres some flashing light that wont EVER turn off,

and to top it all off, i hit a mailbox. (long story, i was at a party, it was dark, i had to move my car, forgot i was beside a mailbox, turned into driveway scraped the back passanger door.) Ive been driving for 4 years and never put a scratch in any of my vehicals, now i have a car that i actually looks good and put a huge scratch in it.

look like if my car lives to summer, im gonna just paint the bumpers and truck and scratch myself... unless i get a really good deal, well see

wow paint job prices are surely different between north and south. A full car paint job around here costs about 1500. 400 if you want somebody that does really crappy jobs to do it. a $3500 job gets a complete disassemble, cleaning underhood, painting all the door jambs, painting underhood(strut towers, etc..).

How will scratching yourself help the situation??

haha you guys are nuts.

i plan on painting the trunk/bumper/scratch soon because there is a charity car show in like a week and i wanted to enter. I just have one quick question:

i have primer and clearcoat already, i just need the black base paint. if i buy cheap black car spray-paint from the hardware store, will that be fine? will it match?? getting the paint code and having someone mix it will be stupid right?

haha you guys are nuts.

i plan on painting the trunk/bumper/scratch soon because there is a charity car show in like a week and i wanted to enter. I just have one quick question:

i have primer and clearcoat already, i just need the black base paint. if i buy cheap black car spray-paint from the hardware store, will that be fine? will it match?? getting the paint code and having someone mix it will be stupid right?

Paint is one of the most esoteric automotive items out there. The price of a job varies, the quality of the job varies. There aren't too many hard and fast rules, other than this: get the highest quality job you can for the shortest amount of bread. For example, I've got a guy here in Massachusetts that would sand, prep, prime, shoot, and clear three panels for like $300, and take care of business. That beats the hell out of the possibility of me trying to do it in the driveway and screwing it up. Remember, a bad scratch looks better than a bad paint job. Also, if the do-it-yourself job goes south, you'll be stuck explaining it to onlookers. Not fun. "Well, you see...uh...I was sanding this here...you know...but then I went to paint it, and...uh, well..."

If you're truly intent on doing it yourself, have it mixed properly. Since you're not doing a complicated, rare Ford color like, say, Opal Frost, you should be able to have a small batch made up for relatively short money. Your call, but I'd be getting on the horn to your local quality paint guy and setting up a time to have him look at it. :cool:

Paint is one of the most esoteric automotive items out there. The price of a job varies, the quality of the job varies. There aren't too many hard and fast rules, other than this: get the highest quality job you can for the shortest amount of bread. For example, I've got a guy here in Massachusetts that would sand, prep, prime, shoot, and clear three panels for like $300, and take care of business. That beats the hell out of the possibility of me trying to do it in the driveway and screwing it up. Remember, a bad scratch looks better than a bad paint job. Also, if the do-it-yourself job goes south, you'll be stuck explaining it to onlookers. Not fun. "Well, you see...uh...I was sanding this here...you know...but then I went to paint it, and...uh, well..."

If you're truly intent on doing it yourself, have it mixed properly. Since you're not doing a complicated, rare Ford color like, say, Opal Frost, you should be able to have a small batch made up for relatively short money. Your call, but I'd be getting on the horn to your local quality paint guy and setting up a time to have him look at it. :cool:

my first car i ever bought was in an accident and the drivers door was from a different colored car. I taped it up and painted it. no paint runs, even color throughout the door, no paint anywhere else on the car, etc. dont get me wrong, it was the wrong color paint hahaha, but it was a perfect paintjob.

So i pretty much know what im doing. the trunk and rear bumper will come out fine because i will paint the whole trunk and whole bumper. the scratch is the only thing i am concerned with and i figure if i mess it up, i can always just take it to an autobody place, but ill take the small risk and try it myself first.

for the scratch, should i tape a box/section around the scratch and then just sand/primer/paint/clearcoat that little section?

Black is a hard color to match sometimes though. You can't just grab black paint off the shelf and expect it to match. Heck, I had a shop paint some parts using my paint code and it was still slightly different in direct sunlight.

Don't cheap out with paint work.

Black is a hard color to match sometimes though. You can't just grab black paint off the shelf and expect it to match. Heck, I had a shop paint some parts using my paint code and it was still slightly different in direct sunlight.

Don't cheap out with paint work.

yea i think im gonna spend alittle extra and get it mixed up right, anyone know the paint code for 98 svt black?

and also, is this the best way to do it?:
for the scratch, should i tape a box/section around the scratch and then just sand/primer/paint/clearcoat that little section?

yea i think im gonna spend alittle extra and get it mixed up right, anyone know the paint code for 98 svt black?

and also, is this the best way to do it?:

UA is the paint code.

I would not recommend painting just a small section. It will not blend at all with the old paint.

UA is the paint code.

I would not recommend painting just a small section. It will not blend at all with the old paint.

ok thanks. what if i taped like EXACTLY around the scratch and sanded only the scratch and painted only the scratch? i cant afford to paint the whole car because of one scratch, if you had to fill in a scratch how would you do it?

ok thanks. what if i taped like EXACTLY around the scratch and sanded only the scratch and painted only the scratch? i cant afford to paint the whole car because of one scratch, if you had to fill in a scratch how would you do it?

Duplicolor paint pen.

depending on the depth of the scratch you may have to sand a small area around the scratch. They are meant just for hiding minor scratches though. seriously for little scratches, you can even use fingernail polish.

Never skimp when it comes to painting though. Trust me also when I say spray can covering a car is a lot of work. And it would be increadibly difficult to make look well. I rattle canned my car just before winter to seal it up so that I could wait till summer when I have time for paint. It looks like crap, and I am fairly certain that even if I had taken my time and done a good job it would still look like crap.

Back