• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone know this SVT in PDX?

Nice car. I should look into one of those. I wonder what shape his clutch is in?

My new replacement clutch JUST NOW arrived as I am writing this... maybe to be installed soon, broken in soon after, and abused at PIR drags this spring?

Well we met up with the fellow selling this car. FrenchblueC2 provided a carfax report, and the car was owned by his aunt for about 8 yrs. Now the nephew is facilitating the sale for her. He really seemed like a reasonable guy. We took it for a test run and it handled better than a car with 120+k on the clock, but what do I know I drive an SE. My friend, who is looking to buy just had a prepurchase vehicle inspection done and they found it about needs a brake job, couple of new tires, a bulb in one of the license plate lights is out, seepage at the rear head gasket and a small leak at the oil pan. This thing has 127k on it and doesn't look like a 100k car inside. There are a few scratches and scrapes like an older lady who is not paying attention to curbs may acquire. He didn't understand why his aunt actually ever got a car like this. There is no sign of abuse or young drivers to it and no mods have been done.

On the way over to meet us the fellow said the check engine light came on. It is a hard code since it stayed on but it just had the tags renewed. In my questions about the car, the fellow mentioned that he had just put $10 regular gas in it not the good stuff it requires. That could be the source of the light..... my friend is on the way to Auto Zone to get the code read now.

I am more than a bit concerned about the head gasket leak / seepage whatever while that would just be something to fix if you already had the car getting a car with that as a problem is another matter. Then there is the issue of why did a head gasket start seeping, is it maybe due to the water pump going out and it over heating? one thing seems to follow another down that line. You know what I mean I'm sure.

P0151
Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor circuit out of range - Bank No. 2.
P1151
Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 2

What my final recommendation on this was to see if the seller was willing to deduct the full cost of the replacement of the head gasket around $1400 by a shop w/ warranty. If so then consider the purchase. IF the purchase was done then to do the work immedately. Then enjoy the car.

IF not WALK AWAY, there is another tour down the line.....

What do you think?

My 2 cents,
AF

Last edited:
I would definitely stay away from ANY car with head gasket problems, ESPECIALLY one of these. The high compression in these engines will make that problem worse much faster. Now if you were picking it up to do a 3.0 conversion...well that makes a lot of sense but the price would have to come down considerably. I'd say the $2000 range would be worth it.

For the price they are asking right now to me sounds like a deal! Strait up deal... one cause the car sounds like its in good shape in the interior and no body damage or accidents. also its been driven by an older woman, who probably didnt know what to do when she floored it :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: ... ahahah. so its been driven nicely... the head leakege and the other problem in the engine are repairable, but for what you have saved in buying the car you should be able to fix it.:eek: ... considering that these usually go for about 6,000 .... so id buy it and fix it... just my 2 cents:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have had expereince buying cars from old people. I bought a tarus that was driven to church and the store for 8 years. The car had 78k on it. With in a month of driving it started to go down hill. We spent money on Motor mounts, tranny mount's, water pump, hoses, belts. We paid 2k for the car which was very good but as soon as I drove it a little hard it was down hill from there. When you change the driving style of a car it can react differently.

I wonder if he'll disclost the head gasket leak and the cost for a shop to fix it? Someone should call on it.......
EEK! Dont say that....I might buy it! I would do something that stupid being i owe the courts 3,000 so i can drive.Oh well a second svt is worth it i think.

P.S did you guys see the other silver svt for sale on craigslist?

EDIT....the second svt is a salvage title and decklid needs pain yet he still wants 3,000.

EDIT....Thanks Aussie! I just emailed him offering 2,000

Last edited:
Back