• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Duratec 3.0 24V "97 parts

luiz felipe

New CEG'er
Hello, as I post here ( http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=28223 ) I´m planning to buy a 3.0 V6 24v duratec, from a Taurus LX.
Where can I find performance parts for this engine? Like pistons, std gaskets, and etc? summit and other sites only have for de 01+ or the 2.5L.

What are the main differences between the 97 and the 01+ engines?

Thank you

well,things like headers,udp,flywheels are all swappable between the 2.5 and 3.0. diamond should have pistons.
the 99 and older 3L's are split port like the 2.5 duratecs,but have the waterpump on the otherside of the engine. so to use one in a tour you'd need to either run a electric waterpump,or use the 2.5svt heads on the 3L block,this will also raise your compression. this is whats called a "hybrid" 3L. the other style of 3L's are the oval port

Posting here as well. The car you posted pics of is a 4-cyl so i'm hoping that's not the car you're planning to put this into...

Going from a 4-cyl to a v6 is nearly impossibly and more work than it'd be worth...

Mystique, I´m planning to do the swap with de 4cyl, now the car runs the Zetec 4Cyl, with the MTX manual gearbox.

The V6 3.0 fits the MTX, right?
Why is it so difficult? I just need the engine mounts, injection, wires, hoses, V6 clutch and etc...

Mystique, I´m planning to do the swap with de 4cyl, now the car runs the Zetec 4Cyl, with the MTX manual gearbox.

The V6 3.0 fits the MTX, right?
Why is it so difficult? I just need the engine mounts, injection, wires, hoses, V6 clutch and etc...

you need a mtx for a V6, the I4 one will not bolt to the V6. I believe you need a different subframe. You will need the wiring harness from a V6 mtx contour, pcm, mounts, etc

if you have all the parts go for it ....

yes,you'll need different subframe,axles,tranny,engine and under dash harness,radiator and fan's...ecu..the list could go on and on

Why is there never a shortage of brainiacs. Buy a manual V6 car for a grand and save all the trouble.

i dont know if 69Boss302 is talking about me but i recently did the swap you are speaking of. i did have a 2.5 engine to start with and now have a hybrid 3L with '98 SE heads and a '98 3L block. a lot of people said it could not be done but my car runs like a champ. there are a few sets of SVT heads in the classifieds one of them is a local here in Kansas. i am building his 3L currently. the 98/97/96 year block swap is just as easy as the newer ones. personally i think it is almost easier when done as a hybrid. you only have to cut one tab off instead of 3, drill and tap one hole and fill 2 holes with JB weld. from there it is the same as a 2.5L i would see if you can find a cheap 2.5L and use it to swap parts from. i can send you a copy of my parts list and prices. building the engine is easy, changing from a 4 cylinder to a v6 will be the challenge but if you are determined enough(and have a big enough pocket book) the swap is pretty strait forward. all the parts from the different cars will fit. they just need certain combinations for each vehicle. if you have any questions for me please feel free to PM me. i am on here daily.

good luck i would like to see this done.

i dont know if 69Boss302 is talking about me but i recently did the swap you are speaking of. i did have a 2.5 engine to start with and now have a hybrid 3L with '98 SE heads and a '98 3L block. a lot of people said it could not be done but my car runs like a champ. there are a few sets of SVT heads in the classifieds one of them is a local here in Kansas. i am building his 3L currently. the 98/97/96 year block swap is just as easy as the newer ones. personally i think it is almost easier when done as a hybrid. you only have to cut one tab off instead of 3, drill and tap one hole and fill 2 holes with JB weld. from there it is the same as a 2.5L i would see if you can find a cheap 2.5L and use it to swap parts from. i can send you a copy of my parts list and prices. building the engine is easy, changing from a 4 cylinder to a v6 will be the challenge but if you are determined enough(and have a big enough pocket book) the swap is pretty strait forward. all the parts from the different cars will fit. they just need certain combinations for each vehicle. if you have any questions for me please feel free to PM me. i am on here daily.

good luck i would like to see this done.

He was talking about the original poster. And who ever claimed you couldn't replace a V6 with a V6? They're saying replaced a 4cyl with a V6 isn't worth the trouble.

im talking about a using a 98 3L, not doing a 4 cylinder to 6. read the first part of the conversation in the new member classroom. there is a link in the first post of this thread. post #8

Back