• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

randomly started misfiring

AliasJerk

Addicted CEG'er
heading home from bagged's house tonight, I get onto a free way off ramp, turn the corner and rev up to about 3500 in 3rd gear and noticed a quick "hickup" tried it again, did it again, the more I drove the car, the more this "hickup" turned into a nasty misfire, now if I rev up the motor remotely hard, or push the gas pedal down harder then old man driving I get sputtering and the motor hardly will rev up.

Drove 25 miles doing 75mph absolutely no problem though.

car has a little under 3/4 tank of gas, and I know my EGR valve is in need of replacement, would a bad EGR cause this?

Basically it poped on right after we put the car together.

P0401 - Insufficient Flow from EGR valve
P0402 - Excessive Flow from EGR at idle

I did a search, but never found the two in conjunction, my first impression was to clean the EGR passageways, But when we were putting the car back together, I noticed that the TB was recently optimized and as clean as a whistle, so it cant be the EGR passageways, am I looking at an EGR valve replacement? Is there anything else I can do to test if I forgot to reconnect something when were putting the motor in? I just cleared the codes and drove like 5 miles and the CEL hasnt come back on, but that basically means nothing at this point.

im betting the EGR valve itself is stuck. you should have zero flow at idle so any flow at all means the valve is likely stuck open. a stuck valve would also give you the insufficient flow at cruise cause it cant open the valve enough since its stuck. surely Reebs or Bagged has an extra working one that you could swap over to test it.

if the EGR is stuck then it will hesitate and miss when you try to accelerate. surely bagged or reebs has an EGR valve you can try before you go buy one.

sounds like egr to me. had same problem with the SE and it was a clogged passage under the TB that the egr gases flow thru.

throttle body was recently rebuilt, optimized and resealed with a new gasket.

The EGR valve is bad, but not BAD.

I can reset the CEL and it wont pop back on for about 400 miles.

a clogged passage under the throttle body would act the same as the egr valve not opening = not enough exhaust gases mixing with the air which can cause a missfire under harder acceleration.

or bagged pulled off one of your spark plug wires:laugh: gotcha sucker LOL

Sounds more like flakey plug wires or plugs to me. If it was a returnless SVT then I'd be leaning more towards a failing fuel pump but I'd bet big money on plugs or wires. Swing by and we'll swap out that stuff with a spare set in 5 minutes. :)

or bagged pulled off one of your spark plug wires:laugh: gotcha sucker LOL

Sounds more like flakey plug wires or plugs to me. If it was a returnless SVT then I'd be leaning more towards a failing fuel pump but I'd bet big money on plugs or wires. Swing by and we'll swap out that stuff with a spare set in 5 minutes. :)

read much:shrug: i wasnt joking:laugh: i really pulled one of his plug wires off lol

Last edited:
i figured he just blew a wire off. happened a couple times when i was driving the svt. happened right before i blew up the mustang too

Back