• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car Key

N2EAL

New CEG'er
How much does it cost to have a new key cut and programmed?

I just bought a 2006 Focus and the dealer is telling me that it will cost between $120.00 and $140.00.

Can that be correct?

I have the same type of key on my CSVT but it came with two keys, so I never tried to get another one.

Is there any alternative to this kind of thievery?

Gary

ya ive heard thats how much they cost...i believe ive heard of people paying the $10 for the key itself and programming it, but thats outta my league

There may be some relief for this in the future. The California governor just signed a bill that will require automakers that do business in California to make their key coding system accessable to locksmiths.

Call around and talk to other dealers. Do you have one key now, or two? Adding a third key is easy. Adding a second reqires programming the car to accept the new key with a Ford scan tool.

I had to get a contour key made and it was like 1$ for the key then 25$ to program it. but a lot of people i have talked to say that it is 100$+ for coded keys, maybe I just got lucky? I hope not because i need another one

here in oregon we charge $75 each or $100 for 2 programmed to your car

If you have 2 already then its only $25 per key.We just coughed up $8,000 for a machine to do all the cars.Thats why the price is high

found cheap keys

found cheap keys

Hey!

I was looking for some new keys too, I found a dealer on Ebay who sells the keys and the instructions on how to program them. Two keys were just under 20 bucks with the shipping. I haven't received them yet...

PM me if you want the seller's id.

none

none

Hey!

I was looking for some new keys too, I found a dealer on Ebay who sells the keys and the instructions on how to program them. Two keys were just under 20 bucks with the shipping. I haven't received them yet...

im curious, dont you still have to pay ford to cut the keys? or do you take them to a local hardware store and have them cut? i do know that if you have two good programmed keys you can program a third key that is cut by cycling them through the ignition cylinder using the theft light. I programmed a ton of keys for customers using that method. it really cuts down the cost of there remote start. if you could, pm me a link to his auction. i need two more keys myself.

The local locksmith told me $35 for the key, $45 to have it programmed. A friend said new keys for her new(ish) VW Beatle ran $200. $75 doesn't seem so bad anymore.

Hey!

This works for 98s if you have one key.
For 98+ you need two keys.
I think that's right.... and it may only apply to contours/some other models, newer models may be different.

Back