• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Yokahama AVID TRZs (205/60/15)...any opinions/

m4gician

Hard-core CEG'er
These are the tires I'm looking at putting on (finally), and bascailly I'm getting a decent enough dealto justify what looks to be about $80 a tire then about $10 or $20 to mount em on my rims.

I've read a lot of reviews on them, and they've scored high in every category, including snow and wet, although I'd prefer someone who has driven in Snow and Wet to let me know because that's a critical decision for me as I'm not going for the winter tires / summer tires thing.

These are the tires I'm looking at putting on (finally), and bascailly I'm getting a decent enough dealto justify what looks to be about $80 a tire then about $10 or $20 to mount em on my rims.

I've read a lot of reviews on them, and they've scored high in every category, including snow and wet, although I'd prefer someone who has driven in Snow and Wet to let me know because that's a critical decision for me as I'm not going for the winter tires / summer tires thing.

As soon as my OE Dunlops wear out, I'll be putting these on my new minivan. Good reviews on Siennaclub.

I wouldn't put them on my Contour, though, as it's the "sports car" in the family.

The AVID TRZ has set new standards in its category by having an 80,000-mile treadwear warranty, a 700 A/B UTQG rating. Those sound craptacular!:blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

I finally bought a set of these, had them on the car for a little over 1 month so far....and these tires kick ass IMO.

On my car I've had a set of goodyears, two sets of kumho's and now these. The AVID TRZ are easily the best.

Dry performance is about on par with the others...if you're just using them on the street you probably won't reach their limits...seems like they have a stiff sidewall so far, so cornering and response feels good, but you also fell every bump...of course this depends on what pressure you like to run...i keep them at 34 PSI.

The wet performance is where these things really shine...just today on the way to school it was pouring like a mofo, and these tires give you a lot of confidence...it may be partially because they're so new with a deep tread, but supposedly the tread design is made to fight hydroplaning as well...whatever the case, they kick ass in the rain!!!

I'm looking forward to using them in the snow, they should do well.

Based on my impressions so far, i would definitely recommend them.

Well it's settled then, these are going on this weekend.

I finally bought a set of these, had them on the car for a little over 1 month so far....and these tires kick ass IMO.

On my car I've had a set of goodyears, two sets of kumho's and now these. The AVID TRZ are easily the best.

Dry performance is about on par with the others...if you're just using them on the street you probably won't reach their limits...seems like they have a stiff sidewall so far, so cornering and response feels good, but you also fell every bump...of course this depends on what pressure you like to run...i keep them at 34 PSI.

The wet performance is where these things really shine...just today on the way to school it was pouring like a mofo, and these tires give you a lot of confidence...it may be partially because they're so new with a deep tread, but supposedly the tread design is made to fight hydroplaning as well...whatever the case, they kick ass in the rain!!!

I'm looking forward to using them in the snow, they should do well.

Based on my impressions so far, i would definitely recommend them.

How did they manage and 80k tire without an ultra hard rubber compound. Maybe you're idea of grip is different than mine. Designated summer and winter tires for me.

How did they manage and 80k tire without an ultra hard rubber compound.
I don't know. Maybe do some research on them.

Maybe you're idea of grip is different than mine.

I'm sure it is. I don't pretend i'm a racecar driver, I have absolutely no issues with grip on my daily commute. I would imagine traction would be fine for most people. It's an all season tire, and is labeled as such.

If you want to go to the track or autocross, sure, get some dedicated performance tires.

Designated summer and winter tires for me.

Ok.

If you want to hear other opinions, look at the official review on tirerack, actually conducted by them and see how well the tires did in comparison tests.

The tires are a good deal especially at the price.

I don't pretend i'm a racecar driver, I have absolutely no issues with grip on my daily commute.
You will wish you had racecar grip when you have to do an emergency stop.

You sound like one of my "It's just a Contour" friends. :rolleyes:

Every car can benefit from better performing tires, but most people aren't willing to pay for them.

That said, I don't know how Yok did it, either, but this does appear to be a very nice tire--best in its category according to the TR site.

I don't pretend i'm a racecar driver, I have absolutely no issues with grip on my daily commute.
You will wish you had racecar grip when you have to do an emergency stop.

You sound like one of my "It's just a Contour" friends. :rolleyes:

Every car can benefit from better performing tires, but most people aren't willing to pay for them.

That said, I don't know how Yok did it, either, but this does appear to be a very nice tire--best in its category according to the TR site.

I think this is a little condescending. I've been running Yoko Avid V4s in 225/50/16 on a set of E1 rims on both my last Tour (a '95LX with BAT suspension) and my current one (a '97SE), and even though they're about $80 a pop compared to some much more expensive UHPs, they have yet to run out of grip before I ran out of nerve, and I've got a whole lot of nerve. About the only thing I don't do is track the car.

I have had these tires for probably four years now, and it's only been in the past few months that I've started noticing an increase in noise from them, and the wet grip has been reduced just enough for me to be more aware of driving carefully in the rain (or sliding around for fun). The Yokohama Avid line seems to be a really nice compromise between reasonable cost, longevity, and performance, so just try to keep from knocking them based on knee-jerk assumptions, please?

I think this is a little condescending. I've been running Yoko Avid V4s in 225/50/16 on a set of E1 rims on both my last Tour (a '95LX with BAT suspension) and my current one (a '97SE), and even though they're about $80 a pop compared to some much more expensive UHPs, they have yet to run out of grip before I ran out of nerve, and I've got a whole lot of nerve. About the only thing I don't do is track the car.

I have had these tires for probably four years now, and it's only been in the past few months that I've started noticing an increase in noise from them, and the wet grip has been reduced just enough for me to be more aware of driving carefully in the rain (or sliding around for fun). The Yokohama Avid line seems to be a really nice compromise between reasonable cost, longevity, and performance, so just try to keep from knocking them based on knee-jerk assumptions, please?

I didn't knock the tire. I knocked the attitude that anyone who uses dedicated summer tires is "pretending to be a racecar driver." My only point is that any car can benefit from an expanded performance envelope.

No condescension intended on my part.

BTW, big difference in designed purpose between an AVID V4 and a TRZ, or its predecessor, the AVID Touring. Again, I'm not knocking any of these tires.

I didn't knock the tire. I knocked the attitude that anyone who uses dedicated summer tires is "pretending to be a racecar driver." My only point is that any car can benefit from an expanded performance envelope.
I agree. Though you have to be willing to spend money on replacing tires more often, especially if you push the car often. Not everyone has the need for performance tires, but I don't see why those people would drive anything with a SVT badge on it or any other performance orientated vehicle.

No condescension intended on my part.

BTW, big difference in designed purpose between an AVID V4 and a TRZ, or its predecessor, the AVID Touring. Again, I'm not knocking any of these tires.

OK, I gotcha. :cool:

I didn't knock the tire. I knocked the attitude that anyone who uses dedicated summer tires is "pretending to be a racecar driver."

LOL!?! That wasn't what i meant at all...you made that statement on your own.

I was talking more about people that push the limits more than anyone should on a public road...then complain that the tires don't have enough grip...sure if you go into a corner way too damn fast, you just might lose grip.

Geez, the post was not meant to be flamebait.:troutslap:

Edit: Btw, i have no problem with running dedicated winter and summer tires...if you've got the cash , go for it.

Last edited:
Like curves with the recommended speed (yellow colored signs). :) It's fun to double the 25 mph recommended speed.

Back