• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Alternator or battery?

gonzo1615

New CEG'er
So i was driving today, when my battery light came on for a split second. Then it came on again for one second, then it cam on and the car cut off. I jumped the car off, and drove it to autozone to get checked. While driving the gauges did not work, and it did alot of sputtering. Finally it died right in front of Autozone. Now, i had the alternator replaced about 6 months ago, but didn't replace the battery. What could it be? Battery or alternator. They put the jump pack up to it for maybe a minute, took it offf, and the car ran for about a minute then quit, so they couldn't check the alternator. Help

So i was driving today, when my battery light came on for a split second. Then it came on again for one second, then it cam on and the car cut off. I jumped the car off, and drove it to autozone to get checked. While driving the gauges did not work, and it did alot of sputtering. Finally it died right in front of Autozone. Now, i had the alternator replaced about 6 months ago, but didn't replace the battery. What could it be? Battery or alternator. They put the jump pack up to it for maybe a minute, took it offf, and the car ran for about a minute then quit, so they couldn't check the alternator. Help
Sounds like alternator. If it was the battery you wouldn't be able to start it, but once started it should keep going.

Just FYI,

The "battery light" doesn't have anything to do with the battery itself. It is more accurately called a "charge indicator light" It indicates the status of the vehicles CHARGING ability, not battery voltage.

You could (in theory) remove the entire battery and never see that light come on.

The reasons for a light on would be no voltage being put out from the alternator, corroded wiring from the alternator to the chassis ground, alternator to battery positive terminal, or corroded ground cable between the battery and chassis.

same thing happened to me last night. The car died, I had it towed to my shop, and it is gonna cost $500 to get a new alternator installed.

I am now driving my girlfriend's new beetle

Pro's: turbo and Ipod hookup with nice system

Con's: I feel so gay driving it. I was gonna point and laugh at a ricer today, but then I remembered that I was driving a bug.

Back