• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Removing Drivers Side Axle NEED HELP ASAP

briansukhoi

New CEG'er
I am trying to replace both the drivers side and passengers side axles. (99 contour w/2.5l and ATX) I got the passenger side out just fine, but I can't for the life of me get the drivers side off. I have tried prybars with a block of wood behind them and the stupid shaft does not want to slide out. There is no room to get a good angle to pry from. I removed the intermediate shaft on the other side because the Haynes manual says you can punch the drivers side axle out from the passenger side. There is supposedly a "special tool" (a forked drift punch) that should pop the axle out. Where can I get this tool or is this something any auto shop would have? What are the tricks to getting this axle out? Please help:help::shrug:

You can use a large screwdriver to punch out the axle, in the absence of the fork.

The snap ring on that axle is GNARLY. It takes a lot to get it loose.

A slide hammer is the best tool to use.

Where is a good place to get a slide hammer with the C-hook? Thanks guys....I was thinking that is what I would end up having to use. I'd like to find a local place to buy one, but if there is one that someone recommends I'd be willing to order it online. It's one of those tools that I've been able to go this long without, but it would have been handy in the past. I may end up calling autozone in the morning to get this job done.

Last edited:
I've had success using a pickle fork and some other wedging tool placed 180
degrees apart on the high points; then hitting them evenly to pop the axle
free. The above mentioned slide hammer tool is best because of the even pull,
while prying on only one side causes the axle to bind in the transmission.
Good luck.

If you have a stock diff you can use a long screw driver and punch the axle out by fishing the screw driver in from the other side of the transmission. It's by far the easiest way to do it as long as you don't care about pulling the other axle. It wouldn't work this way with any after market diff though.

I ordered a slide hammer and c-hook this morning.

I have the same one. Works good but if you find the extension rod, they make, it works even better. You'll find you are right on top of the hub/ knuckle area when you are using it. But it definitely beats trying to pry it out.

Well the hammer and hook came yesterday (Wednesday). I had today off, so I put the new tool to use. 3 hits with the hammer and it slid right off. Much quicker than the 2 hrs I spend trying to pry it off without breaking anything.
Thanks for the advice. It helps to have the right tools.

nice one buddy, any chance of a picture of the tool u used to take it off so that i know what to look out for or buy to get the axels off? Thanks :)

nice one buddy, any chance of a picture of the tool u used to take it off so that i know what to look out for or buy to get the axels off? Thanks :)

He linked two pictures of it on the first page of this thread.

ok cool ill check to see if they sell them here in england and if they do i might buy one to have in the garage thanks for the info :)

Back