• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Getting a rusted exhaust flange bolt out..

lol, cant tell you how many times a single rusted bolt has taken an hour long project and turned it into a month.

glad to hear you made progress.

that is the upside of pulling your car apart on a yearly basis, everything dissasembles painlessly.

On the 95, it took me 5 hours to get the bolts off. The one did seem to be more of a stud than a regular bolt. I tried heating it up, PB, sledge hammer...nothing. So I had to drill it out.

I wised up on the SVT though. :laugh: Same situation, so I just drilled it out right away. Started with a small drill bit and kept going up sizes every time I went threw until I could fit a good sized bolt in there

When I put on my true bendz, I had the same problem. Ended up cutting off the stud head and the stud shaft. then i just drilled it out. I was beating the stud mercilessly and I can tell you there is no way your getting that out with a torch and a hammer without destroyin the flange... trust me.

Yeah...it sucked for sure. Are you guys positive that they were studs though? Seemed like mine were just bolts, but then again they were knocked out with an air hammer so who knows.

I don't even remember...my friend knocked the old ones out and that was the last I ever saw of them. We just put the flanges back together with wire so I could drive home.

Back