• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Alpine speakers

fcsvt1

CEG'er
Well I was getting ready to buy some new speakers, and I decided to check to see what kind were in there already. Turns out it has Alpine Type-R's in it which I was surprised to see since it sounds like crap.

Anyone know why this would be? I have had my svt for 4 years and the speakers have always sounded bad with the bass turned up. My car has the factory premium sound with the only mod being the Alpine speakers with crossovers.

Any advise out there?

They're amped right?

The type r's are harsh but shouldn't sound like crap at all.

Do you have an aftermarket headunit?

Yeah its just a factory head unit and factory amp setup. The speakers sound pretty good overall, it's just they can't handle much bass.

I didn't think about the source, is the factory amp not a source for the Type-R's?

The factory amp isn't that great. Sounds like you're getting distortion to me. My opinion, keep the speakers and look into getting a better headunit, and bypass the factory amp. Most headunits sold now offer more power than the factory amp, with less distortion as well. Several HU's even offer MOSFET/similar technology to improve sound quality, even w/o an amp.

Yeah its just a factory head unit and factory amp setup. The speakers sound pretty good overall, it's just they can't handle much bass.

I didn't think about the source, is the factory amp not a source for the Type-R's?
Yuck. Those speakers need power to have any bass at all. I think they handle 60RMS or something? Probably more.

[edit] A better headunit would make the speakers better since it has an EQ and such, but still most HU's only give out 50x4 peak. Type R's are meant to be amped.

Last edited:
Heh you get a cheap alpine headunit and a cheap alpine amp and it'll sound much better than that POS that came in your car =P. By the way...where were the tweeters mounted?

Well I was getting ready to buy some new speakers, and I decided to check to see what kind were in there already. Turns out it has Alpine Type-R's in it which I was surprised to see since it sounds like crap.

Anyone know why this would be? I have had my svt for 4 years and the speakers have always sounded bad with the bass turned up. My car has the factory premium sound with the only mod being the Alpine speakers with crossovers.

Any advise out there?

I had aftermarket Pioneer's for a year or 2, and not that great with the factory HU and amp, was saving for a new radio, once I finally switched to a new radio the cutting out of the factory amp stopped and the sound quality was much better than it ever was with the factory setup. Granted if you crank up bass all the way with any speakers you'll eventually get distortion, unless you have cross overs. That's why you have subs though, to fill in that bass.

Thanks for the help everyone. I was hoping to keep my car stock but I see now that the factory amp does not work well with nice speakers. I guess I'll plan on a new head unit and possibly a hd reciever were the amp is!

don't forget to look up the factory amp bypass if you aren't going to buy an amp.

Sadly, alot of the lack of bass is due to the design of the car. My wife's saturn with factory sound sounds better than my SVT with full amped components when it comes to bass. No matter what you do with a contour your likely going to need to invest in a small simple sub to fill in what the Ford engineers left out before your satisfied. That is why so many CEG'ers have gone with the simple free-air 8" setup.

gah. I ended up mounting my tweeters under the woofer in that little napkin holder area or w/e it is cause I couldn't find any other easy place in the door =\
gonna suck when i get fed up with them being there and have to find a way to make that hole look new :help:

That is why so many CEG'ers have gone with the simple free-air 8" setup.

Or, as in my case, 6.5" rear deck sub... :D

Just enough to fill in that low end that you just can't get with door speakers. Plus, then you can turn down the bass to the door speakers so it sounds even better. Or at least with a decent deck you can.

Back