• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

throttel cabel sticking?

SLVRFRST

CEG'er
while driving in my svt and i let go of the gas the car continues to drive at that same speed for maybe about 5 sec. and then it usually breaks loose on its own or it breaks loose once I push the brake...also when i'm in neutral or holding the clutch in the rpms drop to where they should be in idle but then quickly jump back up to 2000 rpm and that's where it stays usually. what should i do? i'm not very mechanically inclined...

sounds like throttle hang... i got rid of mine by going to a better gas station sounds funny but its true whenever i put pride/hess/combi's i get that reallyyyy bad so now i run sonoco havent tired anywhere else yet.

Might want to check your throttle body first and give it a good cleaning. Sometimes the carbon build up keeps the butterfly valve from fully seating.

i had the same exact problem on my 97. Ford fixed it but i always heard to disconnect the cable then spray some WD-40 into the cable. Move the cable to work it into it. Do that a couple of times it should loosen up.

I have seen it in person and it is hanging up like the butterfly is getting stuck open or the throttle cable is binding possibly. It is not the throttle hang that you fix with the copper cap. What can he spray in the throttle body to help prevent that?

Back