• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

open track Set up

yamaha racer 686

Hard-core CEG'er
so since this place is usually dead. i was thinking why not post up what you think would be great pieces to put togeather to form a great track day contour.

i was thinking...

6 piston brembos in the front
4 in the rear.
18inch wheels with r compounds.
all of what bradness sells.
front strut brace
Ksport coilovers. not sure on the height or stiffness.
removal of rear seats and all unneeded interior pieces.
roll cage.
fuel cell.
trunk skin only.
battery relocated to trunk
straight exhuast piping.
Cai.

Looks like a good list. My car no longer sees street duty.....track only and here is my set up.

4 piston wilwoods up front with aggressive race pads
Stock rear calipers with larger discs (TCE Four Wheel Big Brake Kit)
17" with R Compounds (i think 18s are overkill and will just cost more and maybe weigh more as well)
Koni GC set up....full stiff but not fully lowered.
Rear seats removed and roll cage installed
Just have a bassani
am getting an accusump
4.5 final drive ring
stage III clutch
Quaife
Thicker rear sway bar

This whole package works really well and is very neutral. The brakes setup i have is overkill. PLENTY of braking power. so much so that it takes getting used to just how late you can brake into a corner.

BIGGEST aspect of being fast on track is your technique. Before modding a car...mod your driving skill.

Cheers

Fern

My contour is almost at the track only point also. I was going to get the 4.06 ring, but I diddn't even know about the 4.5. Where did you find that?

leo capaldi racing used to sell them. used them on his race cars...pretty strong unit. kind of loud. they are somewhat more straight cut so it whines a bit more. really gives the car that ace car sound from the inside. dont think they are available anymore.

fern

Your lists are missing the most important component, and have a bunch of components that are not really a necessity.

The list could be as short as this :

- Proper driver

im with him ^^^ although im drooling on the thought or SVTFern's car right now. i want to get suspension and my tranny done for autocross this summer. may be screwed if i dont get a diff.

my ideal car would be...

-Hybrid 3L swap(functioning secondaries) with accusump.
-GC suspension setup with konis full stiff 1 inch lower than stock ride height for the sake of the suspension geometry
-fuel cell
-battery in the trunk
-quaife diff with bearing type shift forks
-maybe some stiffer sway bars id have to feel what the GCs do first
-frame re-enforcement bars front to back
-strut tower bars front and back
-full hidden roll cage for a stock appearance but extra safety
-Recaro racing seats with 4 point harnesses SVT rear seats
-17" gramlights with some hoosier slicks (for the track only)
-Willwood big brake kit.
-full guage set to monitor every aspect of the car.

cant think of anything else right now. im sure there is a lot i have forgotten.

Manimillion you are correct. Notice the comment i made at the end of my post with the list??

"BIGGEST aspect of being fast on track is your technique. Before modding a car...mod your driving skill."

:) I always tell people to improve their skills first before doing serious mods to a car (if they plan on tracking the car).

People always think that a fast car will make them fast..... a fast driver will make an ordinary car very fast.

Cheers

Fern

-GC suspension setup with konis full stiff 1 inch lower than stock ride height for the sake of the suspension geometry

I would actually go with the ksports or D2s instead of the GCs. better adjustability and cheaper. i would also drop the car about 2-2.5" and then have a set of roll center adjusters made to bring the roll center back to the stock position. you can actually buy the ksports and have a set of RCAs made for the same price or less than Konis and GCs.

Your lists are missing the most important component, and have a bunch of components that are not really a necessity.

The list could be as short as this :

- Proper driver

+1 LOL Great post!

Most people can't drive their cars. I don't care if it's an open track or a regional SCCA event. If you're good behind the wheel you'll be faster than half of them.

very true. fast driver=fast times. that is why i love my contour because i make people eat their words about it. i dont mean to be cocky i am very confident. i have had to be as all my friends give me crap all the time about my car but none of them have beat me on a track. i feel that truly there are no limits to how fast you can go. the only limits are the ones you set yourself. i see this proven every day when i see videos of hondas that can break 10 sec in the quarter mile or a miata spank a Z06 Corvette around an autocross track bone stock! i wish there were more autocross guys in KC they are few and far between... at least the ones who can really haul a$$

would this be the accusump you guys are talking about? It was in my car when i bought it. I dont really know anything about it :shrug:
l_ea6e3c393134df8b5595e1bc94503a7e.jpg

l_74451a71f7e2a881c83ab688ace8acbe.jpg

yes, that is an accusump. Its essentially a reservoir for pressurized oil. If oil pressure drops, the accusump will feed pressurized oil back into the system until it either runs out of oil, or pressure. Its basically a safety net against short term oil pressure loss.

^ was wondering when you would chime in. what would ur track set up be if you could only run the contour?

Depends on what what I was doing with the car to be honest.

If it were for the occasional track day, I'd put some seats in it, either sparco or recaro street seats (reclinable style). Some bigger brakes, either warmonger's front and rear kits, or a front kit of my own design for 13" fronts and warmonger's rears. Some 17" wheels w/ Hoosier GAC/Koni Challenge slicks. And some spax adjustable struts w/ Eibach springs and spacers to bring the ride height up to the same as the BAT springs, or custom springs. And then test the car to see what needs to be done w/ the sway bars.
Torsen would be nice, and so would a 3L, but for simple open track, not a necessity at all. Oh, and a power steering cooler.

For a dedicated race car intended to be competitive, that would be a different story entirely. . . and of course would depend on what would be legal for the class ;)

I guess I should clarify my reasoning on the open track stuff. A lot of people seem to think that going the fastest around the track because of the mods they have done to thier cars is a way to "win". But those people are completely missing the point of open track events. Open track is about making the driver better, and running whatever hardware he happens to have as best he can. This is also why there is no timing and scoring for open track sessions :D

Everything on my list above is about making the car safer, more easily controlled, or more durable. None of those items are on my list because they will make the car faster around the track, though most of them will have some affect on the resulting lap times.

Back