• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Gauge cluster

mudsplasher

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I have found a nice gauge cluster, and wondered if it was possible to change the odometer reading to match mine. The one I found has 144k miles and mine only has 79k.

You can actually take off the speedo faceplate and switch out the actual odometer... Of course you would need to go on the highway along with a friend in a different car so that you can reset your speedo needle...

You can roll the new odometer, but it can only be moved forward, so it would take a while to get back to 79K, LOL...

well it you can get something to grip the dial real good. you can push it over the lock pins and it will roll back. it just aint easy.

so what stops auto sellers from putting in new clusters with less mileage?

Nothing except it would be a big hassle, not to mention, carfax would probably pick it up. Although, I think the condition of the car generally speaks for itself. Mileage doesnt really mean much if the car is in rough shape.

Thanks all.

I think I'll buy the new gauges, and if I can set it back without too much hassle I will. I just want to stay legal.

It's not illegal to roll back another cluster as long as it matches your current mileage. It's illegal to roll it back to less miles than what the car actually has. It's not that hard to roll back the odometer. Fool with it, and see what you can do.

i know this is kinda old but i just completed this (it was just like in my sable) i found that if you only have a couple hundred miles to change it (forward) you can take the little motor out on the back and just spin the gear with a pick or screwdriver, this will save you from having to remove the needle

Back