• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Summit Point- SVTOA MAY

My brother went last year with SVTOA in his mystic 04 cobra. he has been hounding me to go, and I am trying to make a decision. It would be with my blk 98 tour.

you should definitely go. it is a blast to drive these cars like they were meant to be driven. it really improves your driving skills for sure.

they usually put the front drive students with me....if there are any!?!?

WHo knows you might be student.

Cheers

Fern

I will vouch for Fernando as an instructor. He put up with me at an SVTOA event at Autobahn back in 2005, which was my first time ever on track. He helped me a lot and got me pointed in the right direction.

Now that I have done a couple more events, including going back to Autobahn and doing much better (faster), it is amazing what he put up with from my lack of experience. But, like I said he pointed me in the right direction and I have improved every time out by building on it.

I also rode around with him at Autobahn in his car (before the Wilwoods were on it). :shocked: :eek: We were running with the crazy people in the top group and we did not get passed, nor did we pass anyone, while in his CSVT for several laps. The rest of the crazy people were in Cobras, Cobra R's, Lightnings, etc., including some that were race prepped. Fernando has mad skilz and made a Contour do what I didn't think a Contour could do.

Thx for the compliments Bob!! Just remember ANYBODY who goes on track the first time has A LOT to learn. It is rare that i find a first time student who gets it right away. The good ones start off making mistakes but then learn at a very steep rate. Good to hear that you are more comfortable now.

As far as prepping for the track.... Richard has given some info and i can send you some more pieces of advice if you shoot me a PM. I have some archived emails with some links that reviews some of the basics you need, pitfalls of novices, etc etc..

Cheers

Fern

do you have to have an SVT? that is sad if so. i have an SE sport that i have been autocrossing for a few years and this sounds pretty sweet. i always love advise from someone who does this more than i do.

you dont need an SVT to be a part of SVTOA and you dont need an SVT to participate in the On Track events. Richard might have more details on the club aspect of things. Shoot me a PM if you need any advice.

Cheers

Fern

When I first saw this on the schedule, I got excited. You see, I was already scheduled to be in the vicinity of this event at this time. My wife and I will be on vacation in Virginia, about 100 miles or so south of the track, for a week starting 4/26. Unfortunately, we won't have time to swing by the track. That Saturday we're heading up to DC to see the sites before heading for home on Sunday.

Man I'd love to make this since I'm about a half hour from the track. Not sure if I'd take the SVT or the Bird. I had a BSR class there a few years back and it was a blast.

I will vouch for Fernando as an instructor. He put up with me at an SVTOA event at Autobahn back in 2005, which was my first time ever on track. He helped me a lot and got me pointed in the right direction.

Now that I have done a couple more events, including going back to Autobahn and doing much better (faster), it is amazing what he put up with from my lack of experience. But, like I said he pointed me in the right direction and I have improved every time out by building on it.

I also rode around with him at Autobahn in his car (before the Wilwoods were on it). :shocked: :eek: We were running with the crazy people in the top group and we did not get passed, nor did we pass anyone, while in his CSVT for several laps. The rest of the crazy people were in Cobras, Cobra R's, Lightnings, etc., including some that were race prepped. Fernando has mad skilz and made a Contour do what I didn't think a Contour could do.

Just got back from the trip. I did have Fernando as an instructor, and agree with everything said. I feel like I learned so much, and I brought a bone stock SVT. He is a great instructor.

Now if only he and I weren't the only contours there....

Thx for the props Jeff. You were a very good student. You certainly picked up on things pretty quickly. keep at it!!! If only i wasn't so dehydrated the first day i might have been a little more vocal on the last run on Saturday. Great progress and you certainly held your own in a bone stock contour. When i drove your car on the track it felt like an old cadillac compared to how stiff my car is!!

Thx for the help with the shift linkage.

Hope to see you at another event for sure.

Cheers
Fern

I didn't see any other Contours in the area? I seen several Cobra's going down Rt.51 Sunday evening...leaving I guess.

Back