• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

help with replacing bearings

97vulcan

CEG'er
Let me just tell you what a pain it was to remove my passenger side hub! I couldn't believe what a process that was! I got the old one off, and I am about to put the one I got from bagged on, however, I can't seem to get the ball joint back into the pinchbolt hole. When reinstalling, what is the first thing you should hook up?? and second and so forth. LOL :shrug:

Also, whats an easy way to get the axle back into the splined part of the hub. I cannot seem to get that in very easy either. :help:

I also ended up ripping my ball joint boot in the LCA, :confused: and now have another problem to fix. I just put a temp. boot over it with some grease, because it looks like I have to drill out the old rivits, and figure a way to fasten the new ones. Will the temp. boot be ok for awhile?

Thanks,
Adam

The ball joint stud has to go in STRAIGHT. It is very picky if there is any angle at all.

You can also use a pry bar to spread the pinch apart a little, to make it easier.

Put the knuckle on the strut first; then put the knuckle over the ball joint as you slide the axle into the hub.

Last edited:
what he said..

and no.. the temp screw on boots won't work.. You're going to sling grease all over the wheel well in two days and be dry after that.

crap on the ball joint. How do I change that out? can I atleast reattach everything i need to drive the car, and work on the ball joint another time? or no? Also, whats the easiest way to slide the knuckle on the strut. It needs to go up a little more. and getting the axle through is proving to be very difficult.

Adam

You should have the strut clean and lubed up as well as the knuckle. Then as long as the notch in the knuckle lines up with the strut you should be able to tap the knuckle onto the strut with a hammer (shouldn't have to hit it too hard)

I think the replacement ball joints are bolted in, shouldn't be too hard to replace if you can get the rivets out. Another alternative would be to replace your entire LCA, that way you get new bushings for mounting it to the subframe too.

For the CV shaft splines you can put grease on them, then when you get them lined up with the splines in the hub you can lightly tap on the front of the hub while holding the CV knuckle from behind. Once the shaft is far enough through the hub that you can get a couple threads with the axle nut you can use that to draw the shaft in.

Do I necessarily have to get the knuckle on the strut first, or can I get the ball joint in, then the axle? I am having a hard time getting everything to line up correctly. I have the knuckle on the strut right now, but I can't seem the get the LCA pushed down far enough to then work the ball joint in the pinch.

Thanks for everything!

Adam

If I purchase a new LCA, will it come with the ball joint? Also, I have a 98, and I think thats the 4 bolt pattern. Is this a good thing when it comes to removal/installation? What is involved in the installation?

I am going to try to work on the SVT on Saturday, and get the knuckle back together.

-Adam

New LCAs do come with a new ball joint.

You CAN put the knuckle on the ball joint first, then slide it onto the strut - at least I can with my Roush suspension. But it is NOT EASY, and you ruun the risk of damaging your CV joint if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Well looks like the car will be worked on by a shop! I am sooooooo pissed! I was having all the trouble getting the ball joint back in the pinch, well I ended up messing up my pass. axle. It came apart in the joint closest to the transmission, and I couldn't figure out how to get it back together, so I cut the boot, and saved the axle. It was the only way to get the wheel on for the tow. I am hoping its not broken, and the shop can put it back together with a new boot. And use my original hubs and just put in new bearings So........yeah, not too happy about any of this. All I can say is working on the knuckles is a PITArse!

~Adam

I can completely relate, I accidentally took the passenger side driveshaft yesterday . Which would not be a problem, I got it back together but did not have a new clamp for the boot. My problem was that the driveshaft would not come out from the hub... I gave up and am now going to source a new knuckle and driveshaft. :(

Back