• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

loud noise from ps pump?

mixtape

CEG's Most Wanted
Hey guys,

I have a problem that I think is due to a faulty ps pump, but I've heard a few other opinions too. I was told it may also be the bearings in the PS pump. I am not 100% sure so maybe someone can give some suggestions or opinions.

The car makes a VERY loud whine as soon as the car starts and until it turns off. It's pretty loud at idle but I think it gets even louder while accelerating. With the hood up, you can narrow the source of the sound to near the ps pump area. The car steers fine with no problems and no hard struggling. The noise may alter a tad when turning the wheel but stays pretty much constant. The belt was replaced recently because the old one was worn out but it was not destroyed. The old one was atleast 2 years old. The noise is not present when the belt is removed and the car is ran.

Here is a youtube video of the car running:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fCaFkOFxEU

:help::blackeye:
Any ideas?

Last edited:
PS pulley maybe? :shrug:

Last edited:
...the only time mine ever made noise was when i had a p/s fluid leak, which leaked into the p/s boots. Since it leaked into the boots, i was not aware of the leak, i.e. not puddle under the car. Without being trying to be funny, have you checked the p/s fluid level ?

If it is in fact the pump, they are pretty easy to replace. It took me about 20 minutes to replace one for my brother on his Contour.

Interesting. There was a leak going on somewhere that I didn't get to fully trace. I remember checking the PS fluid when he was at my house and it was full.

Did the sound clip sound anything like the noise you had?

Paul (Mixtape) will be back online later and will chime in with any info that he may have on the subject.

Thanks waldick for your help. :)

Last edited:
unfortunately i can't get any sound on the video clip :shrug:

but the pump generally only whines if its running dry...

if you want to know if the noise is from the p/s pump remove the belt and run the car and see if the noise goes away. this will eliminate or point to any of the pullies and accessories

The noise is not present when the belt is removed and the car is ran.

;)

I've never dealt with this issue before so I was kind of at a loss.
I sent Paul the instructions to remove the belt but after that he's not sure where to go next with this.

Back