• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Does this do anything

Generally, those devices are simply a resistor to alter the intake air charge temp. sensor reading to trick the PCM into thinking the incoming air is extremely colder, which prompts the PCM to increase timing advance and in some cases increase fuel delivery. The problem is, that in some situations, the conditions are not appropriate to the extra timing and fuel, and detonation can result. Basically, you might feel a slight power improvement in some conditions, but you run the risk of severe engine damage in other circumstances. It's a hack mod worth very little power at best.

I mean I know the claims are outrageous but I was wondering if it gave any benefits at all. From what you guys say the answer is no as I suspected. There are just so many variants of this on Ebay. Obviously you won't get 60 more HP or anything like that.

Typically, if a mod increases horsepower, it will decrease fuel economy... ???? isn't that correct?

Not necessarily. For example, a set of headers will allow the exhaust to flow more freely, which results in more power. That extra "breathing" should also raise the fuel milage, as the engine needn't work so hard as before.

If ony they didn't sound so good when you rev it up, that theory might actually work, too. :laugh:

with 20 extra MPG, let alone 60HP, every 2008 vehicle would have this chip equipped. it would be every automakers dream to be able to sell 30-40MPG SUVs and 50+ sedans

dont buy performance parts from ebay, its a waste of everything

I mean I know the claims are outrageous but I was wondering if it gave any benefits at all. From what you guys say the answer is no as I suspected. There are just so many variants of this on Ebay. Obviously you won't get 60 more HP or anything like that.

If anything,you might lose power as it will cause you to run excessively rich.

Back