• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Buzzing sound is water pump going?

branedamag

New CEG'er
Started my 98 Duratec the other day and it made a noise like something buzzing or grinding, changing pitch with RPMs. I stopped immediately, and also noticed a strong coolant smell. Think I just lost the water pump? BTW, it's the original, 167,000 miles worth.

Looks like it's a pretty easy DIY fix. NAPA any good?

either your water pump impellar is broken in which case it would be good to get the metal water pump fitted or the ring on the housing has come away and is catching on your impellar and is starting to grind it down which is damaging your water pump or can lead to blocking the water holes in your engine and cause overheating, id have that water pump off to see whats happening in there, easy enough to do honestly and a good time to change to a metal one if not done already, hope this helps :)

Turn on your heater to full blast. If the air is hot, your water pump is probably fine. If the air is warm, your water pump impeller shattered.

NAPA white impeller is fine.

Turn on your heater to full blast. If the air is hot, your water pump is probably fine. If the air is warm, your water pump impeller shattered.

NAPA white impeller is fine.

I'm concerned about letting it run long enough to generate heat. It's really a nasty noise, and I can't say I have encountered anything like it in all my driving years. I'll probably do the pump anyway, since it's the original, and see what I find when I take it off. I'm getting ready to sell it, anyway. I've had it 10 years last week. It's been a great car, but I do a lot of road miles and and it's just time for a change.

if your selling the car and your pump is good why change it? start it back up pop the hood and try to find where that noise is coming from. it could very well be you water pump but if it isnt then that would be two things you would be replacing for a car that your getting rid of. save your$$$

Back