• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L inconpetence (on my part)

Lt_hailBob

Veteran CEG'er
I am mechanically disinclined and still want to put in a 3L in my 98 CSVT and my problem is this: I am looking at getting an 03 Taurus DOHC engine with 42,xxx miles for about $150 and want to be able to install it in the cheapest way possible. I've been reading but don't understand a lot of the mechanical lingo. For instance, I've read a lot about port matching? Would you need to do this or can the taurus engine be just dropped into the contour? I read something about cutting the alternator tabs to make it fit the 3L which I'm assuming I could get a shop to do when the 3L gets put in (hypoyhetically). Any general help would be appreciated. Do my SVT LIM and UIM bolt directly to this engine or would I be better off using the taurus ones. I plan on taking this to a shop and having them do it but I don't want to look like an ass when I tell them what to do.

Last edited:
well first you need to decide what type of 3L engine you want to build

hybrid - 3L block, 2.5L heads, intake, etc

ported 3L - 3L block and heads, 2.5L intake, etc (where the porting comes into play)

full 3L - use complete 3L as is and drop in but you will need to fab up a few things.

yes there are tabs on the block that need to be removed so that the alternator bracket will fit from the 2.5L engine. You will also be retaining the 2.5L front cover. Then you also need to cut a tab off to clear the SVT oil cooler and the pilot bushing so the mtx can be bolted up.

i am building a straight swap 3L for 99RedCSVT and it will be dropped right in. BrApple is perfectly correct about the small modifications. if you do a full 3L you wont need to port match. full 3L is by far the cheapest way to build a 3L because you hardly crack the motor open. less money on gaskets

you need the whole engine including intake egr system etc. you need a taurus engine and swap your timing cover and engine front engine mount over. the only thing that is troublesome is the fuel rail. you have to figure out how to convert from a return style to a returnless or braze the rail you have. there is info on brazing the rail in the old forums. i am trying to switch by capping the return line completely and getting a returnless pump using the returnless rail. will post results.

You guys a forgeting to flip the the pulse wheel for the 3l besides changing the hold timing cover from the 2.5L. If you have return stlye car Joey sell the fuel mod so you don't have to braze fuel lines. If you get an escape engine I believe it is less swaping you have to do. The taurus engine have alot of small details you have to remember. I just finish my 3L swapp a couple weeks ago.

So honestly, what are you guys getting the best results out of? Hybrid Full or ported. I understand the oiling related failures that many people run into with the hybrids, but what I was actually looking for is where are you guys finding the best combination of power and reliability? What kind of difference do you generally see in power between the three basic styles of 3l swap you guys mentioned?

I LIKE THE PORTED 3L because nobody can tell it's a 3L unless you tell them and you don't have to worry about modifying the egr or the oval port injector wiring, throddle body bracket. I can't answer power because my is boosted.

it depends on what you want to do with your engine. the hybrid is almost strictly a naturally aspirated approach while the ported and full approach offer the ability to run FI. i love my hybrid. i have the secondaries hooked up and love the low end power they allow. with the ported and full 3L setups you dont really get the secondaries. some have port matched for the secondaries to stay functional but the flow patterns suffer a little since it is a split port to oval port design. from the numbers on here they all really are very equal however if you keep the 3L cams in there is a very different power band so it is really all up to what you are wanting out of your engine.

I LIKE THE PORTED 3L because nobody can tell it's a 3L unless you tell them and you don't have to worry about modifying the egr or the oval port injector wiring, throddle body bracket. I can't answer power because my is boosted.

the same stealthiness is achieved with a hybrid since the only thing you really change is the short block. all else is 2.5 equipment.

So, after hearing all this stuff about the valve cover and the return fuel line, which year taurus/escape engine would require the least amount of modding to work?

So, after hearing all this stuff about the valve cover and the return fuel line, which year taurus/escape engine would require the least amount of modding to work?

depends on what type of hybrid you want to build .... all will need the front cover and valve covers changed ...

Back