• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

P1151 and misfire notice

ssolomo

CEG'er
So I've got the O2 sensor code, P1151 but when I scanned for the non-continuously monitored data, found some misfire info. Before I just get a new O2 sensor, should I be looking elsewhere for other problems? Wouldn't that O2 sensor control three cylinders?

p1151 Lack of HO2S21 Switches - Sensor Indicates Lean (see P2197)

$25 EVAPRISEL4 value -64 FAIL
Evaporative Maximum Vapor Generation Rise Limit phase 4 is -64.000 inches of water with minimum limit of 3.000 has FAILED

$51 MIS8B 100% FAIL
Misfire Type B Emission Cylinder 8 is 100.00 percent with a maximum limit of 3.90 has FAILED

$51 MIS7B 100% FAIL
Misfire Type B Emission Cylinder 7 is 100.00 percent with a maximum limit of 3.90 has FAILED

$52 MISMONMIN 1451 cts FAIL
Miisfire Event Monitor Consecutive Events is 33105 counts with maximum limit of 0 has FAILED

P1151 Bank 2 (radiator side) upper O2 sensor.

If the O2 sensor is more than 50k miles old, change it as that code could also be from a bad sensor.

Then check wiring of the sensor.

Then check to make sure you don't have an vacuum air leak in the intake system. Check hoses, hose clamps, etc.

A low pressure from the fuel pump could also cause this.

If this code appeared after you ran out of fuel, fill up the tank and see if the code appears again.

There's a thing known as "too much information". Your OBDII monitoring software seems to be providing just that with no context available for you to help understand it.

Follow Tony's suggestion and replace the forward upstream O2 sensor. Reset the PCM by removing fuse BJB fuse F11 while you're doing the wrenching.

Steve

Still P1151

Still P1151

Replaced the O2 sensor a few weeks ago, as per the suggestions, then reset the computer. Inspected for vacuum leaks and didn't find anything, and I rarely go below 1/4 tank of gas. Code came back again the other day - so, obviously, that didn't fix the problem. Probably drove about 300 miles between reset and code returning. Maybe I wasn't looking for vacuum leaks in the right place - is there a specific area I should be pinpointing? I used OEM sensor. I feel like the OBD-2 software is giving me hints in the on board monitoring test results section, but I don't know what any of this means. When I see FAIL, I think, uh oh. The failed tests are:

$01 O2A21
Oxygen Sensor Amplitude-Bank 2 Sensor 1 is 0.000 volts with a minimum limit of 0.5000

$25 EVAPRISEL4
Evaporative Maximum Vapor Generation Rise Limit phase 4 is -64.0000 inches of water with a minimum limit of 3.0000

$51 MIS8B 100% FAIL
Misfire Type B Emission Cylinder 8 is 100.00 percent with a maximum limit of 3.90 has FAILED

$51 MIS7B 100% FAIL
Misfire Type B Emission Cylinder 7 is 100.00 percent with a maximum limit of 3.90 has FAILED

Thanks for any guidance. I'm stumped.

Intake manifold leak

Intake manifold leak

Tony had it right - took it to a mechanic who discovered the intake manifold gasket was failing, causing a vacuum leak. Replaced the gasket, code is gone, engine runs much smoother, and gas mileage is up.

Follow Tony's suggestion and replace the forward upstream O2 sensor. Reset the PCM by removing fuse BJB fuse F11 while you're doing the wrenching.

Steve

I've got the same codes coming up; think I'll swap out that front upper O2 sensor. Tell me something. What effect will pulling the F11 fuse have that is different from disconnecting the battery? Will it save having to re-learn idle? anything else?
thanks,

Back