• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

wheel bearing

8000RPM

CEG'er
my driver side bearing seems to be shot. the whee makes a clicking sound when goes in low speed (almost sounds like an axle) and a horn like noise when at higher speed. i also feel some vibration sometimes. the question i guess is, do you think it will be safe to buy this bearing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-0...009QQitemZ190033706490QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

...or should i go and get it from ford, because these on ebay are cheap crap?

.... or should i just go to the junk yeard and get a whole knuckle w/ bearing and call it a day?

you could. i'm changing my wheel bearings next weekend. i'm ordering from rockauto.com their lowest is 25 each. oem from teamfordparts is 45. for that price, i'm going to change both front bearings. axlenut from ford is 7 each (14 bucks for 2 freakin nuts) and rockauto has them for like 2.50 each. i dont like ordering from ebay vendors when their rating gets below 98, i prefer 99 min.

is the quality of the rockauto's bearing the same as Bill Jenkin's? why are nuts necessary to change? i have reused mine in the past, but i know everyone says, they gotta be replaced.

the other thing the worries me is that last year, my passanger bearing was gone. so i got a new one from ford. when they removed the old bearing from the knuckle, they saw that it actually had damaged the knuckle, because the whole bearing had been spinning inside the knuckle...grinding it down just a little. the problem was that when the new bearing was pressed in, it was a bit loose and had some play. so i went and got the whole knuckle from a junk yard. the down thing on that is that i will probably have to change that too, since it was a used one. so, i would hate to get 2 new bearings and then find out that the knuckles are also damaged and have to be replaced.

If you can find a used knuckle for a decent price, then that maybe be easier. Just remember the bearing in the knuckle will have a large number of miles on it most likely.

well, i dont think that the junk yeards would typically konw how many miles the car had before the removed it. i think they will all be priced the same, and it will be just hit and miss. so i was asking in general, what would be an acceptable price. idealy, 60-70k miles would be good enough for me.

Then I would say just get a new bearing only. My passenger side bearing went at about 70,000 miles, so it's relatively pointless to put a knuckle in with a bearing that is near the end of its life.

If you're worried about down time buy the knuckle and have a new bearing put into it...

I wouldn't bother with a used wheel bearing. Sure, you could but they are a pain to change out.

i agree with you guys. i would most likely get two new bearings and see if my knuckles are good. if so, i will just take them to a shop to have them pressed in. hopefully that will work once and for all.

Last time I lost a wheel bearing, I got a junkyard knuckle assembly for $16.

I figure I can replace that about 8 times for the price of one new knuckle assembly :D

If you let the bearings go for a long time when they are bad, you might end up damaging the inside of the hub and you will eat through bearings as often as you wipe you AXX..... something to keep in mind

Back