• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ouch

SVTJON87

Hard-core CEG'er
well the Chicago area got a bunch of snow today. some how my dad hit a curb and bent the lower control arm on my moms Toyota Highlander. severe positive camber. I'm not sure if the strut is bent or not. tie rod looks good. its not drivable. the good news is all the bolts are easy to get to so i hope it wont run up a high bill. tisk tisk dad. moms not going to be happy when she gets picked up from work. lol. tow truck should be here soon.

the bend is right at the end.

P1010091.jpg

and the other side for comparison.

P1010092.jpg

P1010096.jpg

I just looked on Alldata and it says 9.5 hours to replace the right hand side lower control arm on a 05 highlander??????? Not sure if that is the same year but that is horrific.

That is what I was thinking... its says 9.5 for the right and 9.8 for both? Lol, it even says that for "warranty" its 8.3 hours. The part isn't that bad price wise its like $249.32 to a consumer. Give me the year/engine/2WD-4WD and I can see if anything changes.

I don't get it though, it has two for the front.... From what I get there are two control arms in the rear?

Control Arm
Front Suspension Lower Control Arm
Right 480680E010 $199.46
Left 480690E010 $199.46

Rear Suspension
Lower Control Arm
Front 487100E020 $98.63
Rear 487300E030 $103.17

Control Arm Replace
Front Suspension Lower Control Arm One Side Warranty 8.3 Standard 9.5

Both Sides Warranty 8.6 Standard 9.8

Rear Suspension
Lower Control Arm Front One Side Warranty 2.6 Standard 3.2

Both Sides Warranty 2.9 Standard 3.5

Rear One Side Warranty 0.9 Standard 1.4

Both Sides Warranty 1.3 Standard 1.8

FRONT SUSPENSION ARM SUB-ASSEMBLY LOWER NO.1 LH
REPLACEMENT
  1. REMOVE ENGINE ASSEMBLY WITH TRANSAXLE
  2. REMOVE TRANSVERSE ENGINE ENGINE MOUNTING INSULATOR
    1. Remove the 3 nuts and the transverse engine engine mounting insulator.
  1. REMOVE FRONT SUSPENSION ARM SUB-ASSEMBLY LOWER NO.1 LH
    1. Remove the 3 bolts and the nut on the suspension lower arm No.1LH and remove it from the engine front support member.
    2. Remove the front lower arm bush stopper.
  1. INSTALL FRONT SUSPENSION ARM SUB-ASSEMBLY LOWER NO.1 LH
    1. Install the front lower arm bush stopper.
    2. Install the suspension lower arm No.1 LH to the engine front support member with the 3 bolts and the nut but do not tighten.
    3. Tighten the 3 bolts in numerical order as shown in the illustration. Torque: 200 Nm (2,040 kgf-cm, 148 ft. lbs.) (bolt 1, 2) 206 Nm (2,100 kgf-cm, 152 ft. lbs.) (bolt 3) HINT: Start installing the bolts from the front side of the vehicle.
  1. INSTALL TRANSVERSE ENGINE ENGINE MOUNTING INSULATOR
    1. Install the transverse engine engine mounting insulator with the 3 nuts. Torque: 87 Nm (887 kgf-cm, 64 ft. lbs.)
  1. INSTALL ENGINE ASSEMBLY WITH TRANSAXLE

Last edited:
I just looked on Alldata and it says 9.5 hours to replace the right hand side lower control arm on a 05 highlander??????? Not sure if that is the same year but that is horrific.

probably because according to the manual you have to drop the subframe down, on the Contours its easy to replace the control arms without dropping the subframe, but the highlander is a different story.

its an 04 4x4 V6, from what i saw it looked pretty easy to do compared to when i did the svts. the bill is going to be around $800 after alignment. theres no way they have to remove the motor. thats just stupid. i could have had it done by now.

poor truck only has 29k on it too.

Last edited:
probably because according to the manual you have to drop the subframe down, on the Contours its easy to replace the control arms without dropping the subframe, but the highlander is a different story.

Yah, I am familar with the work, usually with most applications you can have a lower control arm out and a new one in with-in an hour, I just never seen an estimate on book time that high before. :shocked:

its an 04 4x4 V6, from what i saw it looked pretty easy to do compared to when i did the svts. the bill is going to be around $800 after alignment. theres no way they have to remove the motor. thats just stupid. i could have had it done by now.

poor truck only has 29k on it too.

Nothing changed being an 04. Are they only replacing the Control Arm or did you need a bearing/stut also?

Last edited:
all i know is they are replacing the LCA. but my dad told me their was some other stuff. other then that i have no idea.

Back