• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ported 3L Guidance

Did you have problems with aluminum getting stuck to the bit?
I used to have that problem with my die grinder... a few thousand too many RPM, I believe. Drop the speed on your dremel, if that's what you're using. A good drill works even better IMO.

I found that the valve areas needed the most work. Casting lines and imperfections need attention. Also, the valve seats can be ported out to match the port better.

A non-ferrus cutting bit works really well for rough cutting the port, while leaving a little material removal for when you're sanding/polishing the port. I used sanding drums to clean it up smooth (I forget what grits, but a search on the old forums would tell you what you need to know) and cross buffs to polish everything up well.

Generally, I would gasket match the intake side, and port match the exhast side to the headers you're using.

The old forum has tons of info in it. I know I personally gave out gobs of info on what I did, and I know others did too. Bench flow #'s and real world data.

To keep your cutting tool free from aluminum "slag", just keep it lubricated with WD-40. Works great, on any type of tool, from files and saws to cutting bits............

I will try WD-40 next time. I used a solvent last time and it did not work so much.

Good job on the porting - Mosh.

Once I found a tungsten cutting bit for my dremel, things progressed quickly(no wd-40 needed). If I had it from the beginning, it might have taken me an an hour to do the rough cutting and another 3 to polish. Instead, it took me like four for the rough stuff.

Back