• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

whats this letter in the mail?

Smalls

Addicted CEG'er
i received a letter at my ohio address today from nys dmv. it says that my non-existant new york state drivers license is suspended and i will be arrested if i am caught with it. HAHA! how stupid can the dept of motor vehicles be? i have been an official ohio resident for a while now.

oh, and for those wondering, its suspended because i took the insurance off my saturn after i put it in the junkyard. never went and turned in my plates and registration because im hardly ever in NY

just so you know..they charge you 10 dollars a day for everyday you have no insurance and never turn the plates in:shocked:

just so you know..they charge you 10 dollars a day for everyday you have no insurance and never turn the plates in:shocked:

thats not what this paper says. im just gonna mail them my registration and claim that the plates were stolen

It's probably not too smart posting on the internet how you're intending to lie to a government agency...

to report the plates stolen to the dmv you have to have a statement from a police agency stating when and were you think they were stolen. regardless what the letter says,someday you will get a bill from the state...i had a buddy get one for three months worth...10 dollars times 92 days:help:

I thought this was going to be about the government wasting money on sending a letter out to know about the Stimulus crap.

"They spent 1.8 million to let us know that our check was in the mail. Here's an idea...include the check with the letter asshole!"
-Lewis Black

technically the plates were stolen. i sold the car to a tow truck driver who needed parts before sending it to the junkyard. he picked up the car from the parking lot where i work. i wasnt there to grab the plates. i still have to call him up to get them back.

I would do that if I were you. They can suspend your license for that.
Might not be a big deal to you now since you have an OH license but it will be an issue when you go to renew that OH license. ;) NYS will report that you are suspended and when OH checks they will find it and not allow you to renew.

Technically you are to carry the NYS insurance until you turn the plates in, then you can cancel it. Chris is correct, they can charge you for the time that you dropped the insurance until the time you turn the plates in.

Do what you've got to do to fix this before you have even more problems.

You could probably mail them back. Give them a ring and ask.
If you do send them, mail it return receipt with signature confirmation so you know when they received them and who signed for them.

i can tell you exactally what you need to do. just went through this three months ago.
you need to turn your plates in to a nys dmv office. if you don't have plates to turn in,you need to go to your local PD and fill out the paperwork for lost/stolen plates. and turn it in to a nys dmv office. once that's done the state will figure out when your insurance was cancelled and when you turned in your plates/paperwork. they'll than determine the amount of your fine,and mail you a nice hefty bill. luckly,mine was "only" for three weeks:blackeye:

From NYS DMV:

It is your responsibility to surrender your vehicle plates and remove the registration and inspection stickers from your windshield. Destroy the stickers. Do not give your vehicle plates to another person unless that person will surrender the plates for you at a DMV office. Unless you immediately transfer the registration to another vehicle, surrender your vehicle plates to the NYSDMV.

How to surrender vehicle plates at a DMV office:

You can surrender your NYS vehicle plates at a NYSDMV office. A county motor vehicle office charges a fee of $1 to surrender your vehicle plates at the office. Another person can bring your vehicle plates to the DMV office for you. If another person surrenders your vehicle plates for you, make sure that the person gives you the FS-6T receipt.

How to surrender vehicle plates by mail:

You can send the vehicle plates to the DMV from any location. There is no fee to surrender your vehicle plates by mail to the address below. If you surrender the plates by mail to a county motor vehicle office instead of a state DMV office, you must enclose a $1 processing fee.

When you surrender vehicle plates by mail, the DMV considers the postmark date as the date that you surrendered your vehicle plates. Make sure that you include your current mailing address. The DMV will mail your FS-6T receipt to you. To be notified by the US Postal Service that your vehicle plates were received, send them by registered or certified mail, and request a return receipt. Remove frames and fasteners before you surrender a vehicle plate or vehicle plates. The DMV office will not accept a vehicle plate with a frame or any fasteners attached.

Send your vehicle plates and other information to:
Riverhead Office - NYSDMV
200 Old Country Road - Route 58
Riverhead, NY 11901

If your vehicle plates are lost or stolen:

If your vehicle plates are lost or stolen, ask a police agency in NYS to complete form MV-78B for you. Or, get a report printed on the letterhead of a police agency in the state where the vehicle plates were lost or stolen. Bring form MV-78B or the police report to the DMV office instead of the vehicle plates.

If you cannot get a police report, write a statement that includes your plate number and explains why you cannot surrender your NYS plates. Your statement must be notarized. Bring or send the notarized statement to the DMV office instead of the vehicle plates.

If only one of your two vehicle plates is lost or stolen, surrender the plate that you have. If you surrender by mail, include a note with the vehicle plate that explains that the other plate is lost or stolen. The DMV will process your transaction and note on the registration record that one plate is lost or stolen.

http://www.nysdmv.com/regtransfer.htm#unused
Scroll about half way down to see what I posted above.

read this it explains the civil penalty bill you'll get http://www.nysdmv.com/dmvfaqs.htm#cp

and here's the breakdown on how it works

The civil penalty amounts shown below are the amounts for suspensions that take effect on or after October 1, 2005. The civil penalty amount is:
  • $8 per day for each day of the lapse from day 1 through day 30, and
  • $10 per day for each day of the lapse from day 31 through day 60, and
  • $12 per day for each day of the lapse from day 61 through day 90.
For example, if you had a lapse of insurance for 85 days, your civil penalty is calculated as follows:
  • $8 x 30 days ($240) for days 1 through 30 of the lapse, plus
  • $10 x 30 days ($300) for days 31 through 60 of the lapse, plus
  • $12 x 25 days ($300) for days 61 through 85 of the lapse
  • for a total civil penalty of $840.

Thanks Chris. I was just getting ready to post that too.

thanks everyone! i'll be coming back to new york tuesday night. i contacted the tow truck driver and got the plates back this morning. i feel like i spend the majority of my life at the DMV :nonono:

also if stay out of NY till you have it fixed. If you where to get pulled over in NY and show them your Ohio lic. they will take it on the spot and you will now suspended in both states and charged with driving under suspension. I know it happened to me when I was just a teen

you dont want that fine either..i got nailed twice on that..they're misdimeanors and a 1500 fine..luckly mine were dropped. funny thing is,in ny the fine is bigger if your caught driving w/a suspended liscense than it is if your caught and have no liscense at all:shrug:

funny thing is,in ny the fine is bigger if your caught driving w/a suspended liscense than it is if your caught and have no liscense at all:shrug:

The basis for this is having no license means you didn't remember to renew it, or never got one, or something. A suspended license means you did something bad to have your privilege to drive removed. So you KNOW you can't be driving, compared to what could probably be laziness or ignorance.

Back