• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

First Signs of CSVT Addiction?

CanSVT

CEG'er
Getting an odd twitch about these cars. I just bought my first CSVT about 3 weeks back. Got a very good deal on a nice 99 SF / MB with just about 50k miles on it. It had basically been stored for years and only rarely summer driven.

The itch started with a test drive in one for sale locally that had about 220k on it and been semi bagged, but it started me on my search that resulted in the above purchase.

Its the first car I have ever driven where I look for excuses just to go drive it. Gone through a few tanks of gas in the last few weeks just driving around and having a blast for no good reason...

then i came across this:
http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=31378942&pgno=1&srt=1

98, T-Red, with again, only about 50k miles on it only a few hours drive from where I live.

Since I saw the add a few days ago I had had to physically and mentally restrain myself from going to purchase it...Given how long ago they stopped producing these cars it has to be nearly impossible to find 2 with so low milage in such a short time? Either way I am making the treck to go check it out...red is nice :) thoughts?

Either way, I have never really been a "car" guy but since first driving this car, to the months of searching leading to my purchase, and the few weeks post driving it like a fiend I have to say I am addicted...

Now to find a nice 3L block I guess?

um well it looks like he already bought a csvt, but nonetheless if you can afford another one go for it, hell there are a couple guys on here that have owned numerous svtc at one time. also you might wanna recheck that link you posted?

Second one would be for the GF who is also loking for a vehicle and has fell in love with the CSVT also funny enough ( I knew she was a keeper...the GF that is).

Autotrader seems to not like enabling outside links unless you already have a browser page open to their site - otherwise they just dump you to thier main page...here is the details from the add:

1998 FORD CONTOUR SVT, 4 doors, 85000 km, rare, low mileage, limited production sport sedan. Burgundy w/midnight leather. 2.5L high output V6, 5 spd, power buckets, PS, PB, PW, PDL, air, cruise, tilt, sunroof, AM/FM CD, excellent condition. Comes with winter and summer tires. Call after 6 pm, $5500.

my other questions I was forgetting to post was what are the large differences between the 98's and 99's? I have done quite a bit of reading and the only thing I picked up apart from the stock rim changes and color offerings was the 98's had a slightly weaker transmission (more prone to failures?) and a few less stock HP out of the engines? (~5hp less?).

Apologise if this is listed somewhere I have missed - a link to read would be perfect is so!

• SVT was upped 5 hp to 200 hp due to additional AFM processing by Extrude Hone of the primary and secondary intake ports.
  • All models are equipped with a slightly larger fuel tank (now 15.4 gal).
  • SVT is offered in Tropic Green.
  • Revised transmission syncros to address an issue in the 98 SVT's.
  • Slight change in dash design. Plastic piece around front window was eliminated.
taken from wiki, just go on there and type in contour svt, btw your a lucky man if you got your gf into csvt's, I got my wife a taurus, but still trying to warm her up to contours

there's other diff. you can find here on the sight. decontenting really took hold after 98.5.

I have a CSVT addiction and I haven't even owned one haha. But I believe Reebs and bagged when they say owned 13 or more, plus bagged probably has like 3 more CSVTs worth of parts laying around! :crazy:

um well it looks like he already bought a csvt, but nonetheless if you can afford another one go for it, hell there are a couple guys on here that have owned numerous svtc at one time. also you might wanna recheck that link you posted?

3 csvts for me, love every one of them

haha, I think I have a looong way to go to even get near to Reebs or Bagged :). I am heading down to look at that T-Red in about an hour and if it is in as good condition as the seller has spoke of over the phone, I may be driving it home.

Time to start teaching the GF to drive standard I guess?:laugh:

I guess part of the attraction and part of the servicing trouble is that they are a very compact tight package which makes them run and handle well...

but sometimes you have to be plastic man to service them

still learning

mike

If you enjoy your Contour, try selling it and being a troll for two years. :nonono:

Back