• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Junk Yard question?

FauxhawkFox

Hard-core CEG'er
I went to a couple junk yards in the area.At one of them I found 20 contours and and 5 mystiques. That was just one, There is an even bigger one a couple of mins away. What should I look for? Most them seemed to have a lot of stuff still in them. I asked about a great looking pre 98 trunk lid that was black and he said 40 bucks. Is that reasonable? I thought that was pretty cheap. There wasnt any SVTs. I asked for a list of their inventory and they dont have one. I was thinking about taking a couple HVAC panels to test with for a couple of ideas I had about lighting but thats all I had in mind. Is there something I should search for thats a rare part or something that is in high demand?

Personally, I try to keep a few IMRC's, DPFE sensors and various trim tabs, bolts or other things that are easily lost. Usually a reasonable price from the junkyards and crazy expensive from Ford or aftermarket.

thats about right for the trunklid..most yards charge 20 for the spoiler and 14-19 for the trunklid. you'll need the lights too..which most likely are a dollar a inch. cupholders,imrc's,dpfe's..good looking headlights..floor mats in good shape..pre98 shift boots and the ring that holds them in..se side skirts,96-97 blank imrc covers,pre98 sail panels...look for cougars too,01+ headlights..c2 gauge clusters. keep a eye out for aftermarket parts too

Maaannn I went to the junkyard yesterday and they wanted $150.00 for a pre98 trunk with spoiler. You should have jumped on that I would have! I wish I could have got it for that price.

csvts show up a lot at the main junkyard i go to. some are pretty nicely modified. i grab everything i can salvage. i've gotten MANY bumpers, headlights, and trunklids. the interior in my car right now is out of an svt that had 30k on the clock. also found a RSTB, B&M shifter, tons of svt engine parts, aftermarket springs and struts, rims, just about everything you can think of. i'll post some pics of the svt's ive seen later if i can find them

You got hosed.:troutslap:

I know the feeling. I dont buy anything major around here because the junk yards are all rip offs. I asked about a pre 98 trunk lid once and the guy told me 200 :shocked::nonono:.. I promptly left. I only buy small things around here. I have no idea whats in the area to get parts cheap.

I know the feeling. I dont buy anything major around here because the junk yards are all rip offs. I asked about a pre 98 trunk lid once and the guy told me 200 :shocked::nonono:.. I promptly left. I only buy small things around here. I have no idea whats in the area to get parts cheap.

tell me about it. when i moved to ohio, i checked out the local pick-a-part. they wanted $80 for a hazed headlight!!!! :shocked:

i got a pre98 lid with spoiler and taillights today for 25 out the door. has to be repainted though.

I guess you have a great junk yard (sounds weird)

The lid I was looking at was black, and it was in great condition. No bumps or cracks. But it did have some paint scratches but that didnt matter since I was looking at it to be repainted silfro. My question was answered pretty much. I am going to go to more junkyard and see what I can dig up and find more parts and quotes. I have heard $75 for a single hazed headlight. I just laughed and walked out.

you need to go to u pull it type junk yards for good prices. trunklids w/spoilers shouldn't run you more than 30 dollars at one. for example i called a local regular yard just to get a price on a fender,85 dollars. at a the nearest pick n pull it was 12.99, 1.00 core and tax:shrug: and i had several cars to choose the best fender

damn! i never heard of a junk yard charging that much, i mean come on it is a JUNK yard, not a new part yard!! WTF??? here in ok if you know the right people and know what you're talk'n about you can buy the whole car for $200-$300!! guess i should go make the rounds and look for tours, i'll let you guys know if i find anything cool

Unfortunatley the ones around here know the new values of most of the parts and will charge slightly less the the cost of the "new" parts.

Next time I go to the junk yards around here I will take my camera to see if you guys need any small parts, but I do not expect to find any csvts.

most of yall are gettin screwed.....i got an entire front end (fenders, hood, bumper, bumper cover, header panel, lights, grill) for $125

headlights were hazy and all needed repaint but my car needed paint too so it didnt matter

Back