• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Trouble removing door panels

OFace12

New CEG'er
I am having a hard time removing the front door panels on my CSVT. I found all of the 10 screws that were in the "how to remove door panel" sticky, but it still feels like the door is secured somewhere.

"Remove the trim panel by sliding a narrow screwdriver behind the panel through the access hole on the bottom of the grab handle and pressing the panel outwards, it will pop out. There is another large screw behind a smal trim piece at the bottom of the panel's face. Finally remove the screw located behing the door handle itself, it's located behing anothre little pop in trim piece that will pop out with a small screwdriver."

I got the 5 on the outside of the door, I got the one on the sail piece where the air comes out, and I got the one by the speaker grill. I removed 3 screws from behind the trim piece where the door lock and window button are. I also removed that trim piece. When it says to slide the screw driver through the access hole on the bottom of the grab panel, does it mean the handle that you grab to close the door? Or the one to open the door where that trim piece was? I found a hole underneath the handle you use to close the door, but I wasn't able to feel a spring or anything when I put a flathead up there. What am I missing?

Let me know please. I'm installing a new head unit and speakers tomorrow afternoon when the audio place gets the bypass adapter in, so I'm getting everything ready now.

Thanks.

MEh. I had trouble with this myself. Did you get the 2 screws behind the door handle itself? it may not feel or look like it, but there is a peice that comes off the front of the door handle (you can see its not once peice by a faint oval line. You need to get something like 2 pocket knives to put on both ends of it to pop it out because its held in by clips. Be as careful as you can with it, as mine are all scratched up now =\

Searching is cool, but I'm feeling nice. If you look on the bottom of the handle, there are two tabs. Push the tabs in, and the cover comes right off. There are two screws inside the handle (how else would you be able to close the door :confused::confused::confused:). Then you just lift the whole panel upwards and out.

stick a flathead screwdriver in there and push around. On the door grab handle you can see the center section kinda looks like it would come out.

Looking at the door, screwdriver up inside the hole, push toward the door and up, the center section will pop out.

well son of a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:. that coulda saved me from some future cosmetic payments :blackeye:

Want to save yourself some aesthetics issues get plastic trim removal tools.... they do wonders for not scratching things, I love mine!

Back