• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

unlocking steering column

bensenvill

Hard-core CEG'er
ok hopefully this is easy. so my cars been thoroughly disassembled for 6 months now.

I need to get the airbag and steering wheel off but the steering column locked, and locked at an angle I cant access the airbag screw on the ignition side. is there a way of unlocking the column that would not require reinstalling all the wireharnesses?

I was under the impression that the steering wheel lock was mechanical. all you should have to do it turn the key to unlock the wheel ...

no its a solenoid, just remove that and the pin will come out with it. The solenoid is brass and forward of the lock tumbler. its held in by 2 screws i believe.

steeringlockle3.jpg

that would be it, i think the screw is on the bottom

toward the front of it, its held in by a clasp not actually screwed to it.

no need to feel bad about it. you could have just labeled it to remember which plugs were for the gauge cluster, we dont know any different

Last edited:
Is the column lock on all Tours?
For some reason my 00 doesn't lock when I remove the key(or turn the wheel after removal for that matter). However It has locked a couple times on me while working on the suspension. But I physically have to move the wheels left to right in the air and it will eventually lock up, any way to fix this, or do I have another problem on my hands?

no need to feel bad about it. you could have just labeled it to remember which plugs were for the gauge cluster, we dont know any different

thats what ts for. for those who dont know me, I label everything

It only makes sense to do when you know you are ripping things apart for a long period of time.

any other mistakes?
p3110052vn4.jpg

yeah wtf does F stand for and DR. :rolleyes: you got issues man... :laugh: jk i had to say something mean :shrug:

but hey labeling helps alot. i try to keep everything together when i order stuff and the like. as i know i lose stuff if i dont.

thats what ts for. for those who dont know me, I label everything

It only makes sense to do when you know you are ripping things apart for a long period of time.

any other mistakes?
p3110052vn4.jpg

Not by you........my mistakes in the past for not labeling like you do.

Back