• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

No Start V6

jimbbski

CEG'er
First I want to say that I just finished a number of projects on the engine and now it won't start.
#1. I removed the upper & lower intake to replace the gaskets and to clean the intake runners.
#2.. I replaced Bank #1 O2 sensor.
#3. I replaced the water pump.
#4. I replaced the plug wires with Motorcraft OEM style wires.
#5. I replaced the thermostat.

After I got everthing back together I tried to crank the engine and got a no crank. I removed the battery ternimals and cleaned them and re-installed the connections. I then got the engine to crank but still no start. I double checked the firing order and found I switched #5 & #6. I corrected that and still no fire. I haven't check for spark at the plug yet. I will do that tomorrow as I am just to tired to work on it anymore today. I also will get a code reader to help figure out what is wrong.

Any suggestions as to what to check or what might have gone wrong would be appreciated.

I do like this car and enjoy driving it but working on the engine sucks and then when I have a problem like this it double sucks!

Make sure the key is off. Press the gas pedal all the way to the floor and crank it for a few seconds. Then release the pedal and try to start it. Your engine may have flooded and pressing the pedal to the floor shuts off the injectors.

I know about the gas pedal thing. I don't think it's flooded but I will try that in the morning. As for the battery, the engine cranks fine. It almost sounds like an engine with low or no compression. It cranks more then fast enough for it to start. Up till now this engine started on the first crank almost everyday. I'm thinking no spark, but what would cause this?

I know about the gas pedal thing. I don't think it's flooded but I will try that in the morning. As for the battery, the engine cranks fine. It almost sounds like an engine with low or no compression. It cranks more then fast enough for it to start. Up till now this engine started on the first crank almost everyday. I'm thinking no spark, but what would cause this?

Do you happen to have a copper pipe cap in the IAC hose for a throttle hang fix?
If so, pull it out and try to start.

Not to insult you or anything, but look around the back side of the engine for disconnected stuff.

I disconnected a few things down there and had some headaches.

Did you plug in the coil pack?

Another thing that would cause that... no fuel. did you hook up the fuel injectors and harness again?

... It almost sounds like an engine with low or no compression. It cranks more then fast enough for it to start. Up till now this engine started on the first crank almost everyday. I'm thinking no spark, but what would cause this?

It could also be that the cylinder walls may be too dry of oil and oil is needed to establish compression.

Pull the three front plugs and pour a teaspoon or two of oil into each cylinder. Reinstall plugs, crank the engine it should help it start. It will run badly till the other back cylinders establish compression and run.

The above tip is from Big Jim and it has helped many people here who when cleaning their UIM , LIM and replacing gaskets run into a no start situation. Solvent from cleaning will wash the oil from the cyinder walls and lead to a no start condition.

When out this morning and gave the car another shot by trying to start it. It fired once or twice then nothing. I pulled a plug wire and stuck a plug in it and laid it on the engine to test for spark. It had plenty. I checked for fuel at the test port and I have pressure. I then pulled a plug and found it wet!

I got in the car and put pedal to the floor and cranked it. I had to do this for almost 20 seconds but it then fired. It died when I let up on the gas. I cranked it again and it fired after a few seconds. I then let up on the gas until it was at a fast idle. As it warmed up the idle smoothed out.

I test drove it and it runs much better then before. The only thing I had to do was reset the TPS. When I was cleaning the throttle body I also modified it by cutting out half of the shaft. The shaft shifted and lost it registration with the TPS so i had to reset after I got it running.

Now I have to see if this improves fuel milage?

The one thing I can say is that I could not believe the gunk the intake had in it on a car with only 75K. I use good quality fuel, I use fuel injection and fuel system cleaner 2-3 times a year and it was still gunked up. The secondary ports were the worst. I plan on keeping on top of this in the future even it I have to pull the intake again. The cost of gaskets is a small price to pay for the performance lost if you let it go and do nothing.

When out this morning and gave the car another shot by trying to start it. It fired once or twice then nothing. I pulled a plug wire and stuck a plug in it and laid it on the engine to test for spark. It had plenty. I checked for fuel at the test port and I have pressure. I then pulled a plug and found it wet!

I got in the car and put pedal to the floor and cranked it. I had to do this for almost 20 seconds but it then fired. It died when I let up on the gas. I cranked it again and it fired after a few seconds. I then let up on the gas until it was at a fast idle. As it warmed up the idle smoothed out.

I test drove it and it runs much better then before. The only thing I had to do was reset the TPS. When I was cleaning the throttle body I also modified it by cutting out half of the shaft. The shaft shifted and lost it registration with the TPS so i had to reset after I got it running.

Now I have to see if this improves fuel milage?

The one thing I can say is that I could not believe the gunk the intake had in it on a car with only 75K. I use good quality fuel, I use fuel injection and fuel system cleaner 2-3 times a year and it was still gunked up. The secondary ports were the worst. I plan on keeping on top of this in the future even it I have to pull the intake again. The cost of gaskets is a small price to pay for the performance lost if you let it go and do nothing.

Good to hear you go it running. And yea, that cleaning really makes a huge difference. The valves in my secondary ports were disgusting last time I had her apart.

Back