• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Removing Lip Spoiler and trunk latch question.

Heywood

Hard-core CEG'er
Hi all,
Just a quick question about removing a pre 98 lip spoiler. I found the 2 bolts, and I assume after that its just adhesive? Is it a job for some fishing line or is there more to it?

Also, the pre98 trunk I just bought has the latch bent flat (wish I had noticed before I left the junkyard). It should just bend back right; or should I heat it up first?

Thanks.

you will find that there are more than two nuts holding the spoiler in. Probably 4. It is on with df tape and go easy when pulling it off. As for the latch on the lid. It is only welded on, so go easy bending it back, you dont want to break it. You can try heat, but Im thinking a torch, be carefully of the paint. You shouldnt need it, just take it slow.

under the rubber bump stop's there a bolt on each side..guitar wire or fishing line works great..don't pry to hard,they break easily

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot this weekend and let you know how it goes. I just hope I don't snap the latch

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot this weekend and let you know how it goes. I just hope I don't snap the latch
i'd be more concerned about snapping the spoiler than the latch..the trunklid's are a dime a dozen. the spoilers..not so much.

Ya I did mine a couple years ago on my 98 SE, I made a mess of the trunk because the bots where all rusted, of course Im not that gental with stuff either, good luck.
Keith

Why not just swap out your trunk with another so you wont damage the spoiler? Lots of guys on here want to get their hands on a nice pre98 trunk/spoiler. The money is there if you want it.

Back