• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT 3009 got rear ended last night

So I was trying to make a left turn last night about 10:30, all of a sudden, my back bumper was met with the front end of a 96 Explorer. That sonbish. Guy didn't even have insurance, but his girlfriend took the blame for it. Any idea how hard it is to get parts for these things?
Accident3.jpg
Accident2.jpg
Accident1.jpg

I didn't see any quarter panel damage..

Looks to be contained to the trunk, bumper, light assy, and rear bumber braces, etc.

THOSE ARE ALL REPLACEABLE man!

Quarterpanel damage isn't easy or cheap to fix, but if your side panels aren't fugged you shouldn't have much difficulty fixing it.

Edit: right rear edge of your QP is smashed in, I see. THAT sucks.

Hey, atleast this is an opportunity to get a pre-98 trunk. Therte's alweays plenty of good to go with the bad,. I'm sure it'll be fixed in no time, my friend:cool:

That shouldn't be totaled. The rear bumper will be hard to find, but you can find them here on CEG. And you can get any trunklid you want, just make sure to keep your SVT emblem :cool:. Hopefully you can get the parts you need on CEG an make some money off the insurance company. Hope it works out for you :)

That shouldn't be totaled. The rear bumper will be hard to find, but you can find them here on CEG. And you can get any trunklid you want, just make sure to keep your SVT emblem :cool:. Hopefully you can get the parts you need on CEG an make some money off the insurance company. Hope it works out for you :)

Thats not the problem, look at the Passenger side quarter panel, you'll likely pay more than the cars worth to get that fixed. :(

Good luck though.

Thats not the problem, look at the Passenger side quarter panel, you'll likely pay more than the cars worth to get that fixed. :(

Good luck though.

Hmm...I dunno about that. I haven't ever personally dealt with my insurance company over something like this so I don't know what they'd say about that. I'd be willing to wager that a bit of professional work can get that smoothed out rather than replacing it, but I'm no body work expert.

That sucks! Make sure that they are paying for this and not you!

On the bright side, it looks like a good opportunity to shave the trunk keyhole and put a pre-98 trunklid on it... :D

That sucks! Make sure that they are paying for this and not you!

On the bright side, it looks like a good opportunity to shave the trunk keyhole and put a pre-98 trunklid on it... :D

Yeah, they are definitely going to pay for it. The girl that was driving admitted that it was her fault, and the cop said so too, but ultimately the insurance company decides whose fault it was, but I'm sure it is going to be on her, since I was at a light, waiting to turn, blinker on and everything, and SHE hit ME. They are definitely going to pay for it. That thing about the rear fascia being discontinued is great, NOT!! I'm not sure what I am going to do, but I am really uspet about it. I took it to the mall today and part of the brake light fell off, which is not cool, so now the right side of the brake light from the Ford emblem over is now missing as well. Really sux because I can't get into my trunk either. Anyway, I will call her insurance company first thing tomorrow morning. She said this is the third accident that she has had since she started driving, and she is only 17. Oh well. We'll see.

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad I know what I'm dealing with, but I really don't want to get rid of this car. What happens if they total it? Do they give me check for it's depreciated value and then I get to buy a new car? How does that work? Thanks again.

An adjustor will come out and have a look at your car. They will take all the notes and go back to the person actually handling the claim. The value of the car will be determined as well as the cost of the repair. If the cost to repair is of a certain % of the total value of the car, they will deem it a total loss. If there is a lein on the car, the lein will be payed off first. You will also be given a chance to purchase the vehicle back. The buyback will be what they think they can get for it at auction. That money is then deducted from whatever is left.

Example:

$6,000 = total value of your car

$3,000 = lein/pay-off to the bank

$200 = buyback cost

$2,800 = the amount you get back

Ins companies are different in the way they each handle stuff but that seems to be the avaerage way things get handled.

I'd keep it if I were you. More than likely you can get things repaired for less than you might get back. You may have to get a salvage title but that depends on the DMV. Some states don't do title searches for cars over a certain age.

I know Geico does a "Market Value" of the car and searches for other SVT's for sale in the area. With my black SVT that got totaled, they tried to say it was comparable to an SE. :mad:

If they can't find a market value through for sale ads, they do NADA book value. In PA, they have to do a 2-book average with NADA and the Pennsylvania Red Book. Add in the sales tax and title and tag fees and that's what the value is.

Man dude that sucks! Seems we're in the same boat, someone backed into my car on a side street on my rear quarter and left me with this...

img1443mn7.jpg

Yeah, I'm still working on talking with the insurance people. I'm really hoping the insurance company doesn't try to get me to put a regular contour bumper on it. No offense to you all that have Non- SVT's, I'm just saying. The bumper thing is what I am worried about most, because there were only 6535 made, and that was 10 years ago, so I don't think we are going to have a lot of luck finding one that will work. I should make them buy me an aftermarket rear end. We'll see.

Back