• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil Temperature?

Tour_Racer00

CEG'er
What should a V-6 Contour run for oil temperature? I'm looking to do a bit more racing (and now I have an open spot for a gauge) so I was going to get a oil temp gauge but it comes as either 100-250 or 140-300. So which one will be more usefull?

Do you have a cooler? If so.. then I'd say the 100-250. If you don't have a cooler, then I'd say the 140-300.

Reason being... if you have a cooler, it shouldn't get over 200-220... and that gauge would give you better resolution. When autocrossing during the Phoenix summer (110-115F outside), my oil only got up to about 210 (big oil cooler :))

Actually... I thought I read something on bobtheoilguy (or somewhere) that the oil starts to break down beyond 240-250. Feel free to correct me on that though.

SVT's have an oil cooler, its on ok unit. I've got a 3L with SVT oil cooler and my temps in hot summer heat never peaked over 210, but I wasnt driving too hard, the cooling system kicks on at about 210 or so and that helps keep temps around there.

Most synthetic oil will hold up pretty well to high temps. I know of C5 Z06 guys who push 280+ degrees at the track and don't change the oil afterwards. ;)

Back