• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

windage tray nuts

Ares

Veteran CEG'er
Can someone answer this question for me? I searched but didn't see an answer to this, sorry if I missed it.

Do these look like the right nuts for the windage tray and pick up tube? They fit but the four at the corners are 10mm and the one holding down the pu is 11mm. Also, the manual says they're TTY but I read someone here saying they reused the old nuts. I thought I also saw different part numbers for windage tray nuts so it leads me to believe that this could be right, besides I can't find any other nuts that fit so by default I think this is right, just want to be sure! And btw this is from 98.5 svt.

7310155758.jpg

7310155694.jpg

On any car that I have done bottom end work on, the nuts and/or bolts have always been this yellowish color. It seems to be an alloy that's reasonably strong, will not rust, or corrode. Unlike plated or galvanized metals, which are often used is a cheap alternative to stainless, these have no finish to be disturbed by hot petroleum. Getting any sort of by-product of a bolt in the oil pan is not something that's idea!!

I'm still trying to decide if I should get new ones or just reuse these. I'm not even sure what the part numbers for these nuts are.

I have these numbers but I think one of them is for the revised windage tray set up rather than the original 98.5 version that I need. I talked to Bill J. about it and I'm still waiting to hear back from him.

Qty 4 W701542S309 = $5.05 each - (sold in packs of 6)
Qty 4 W701582S309 = $1.13 each

Maybe I should have posted this in the 3L forum but now my question is - for the guys that have done this bottom end work on this set up. What did you do with these windage tray nuts? Reuse or order new? Are these the right numbers? Somebody??

Back