• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pre98 Headlight Questions...

Lord Stanley

Hard-core CEG'er
Firstly, how do you align them? I though you used those two small, silver torx screws, but they did not seem to do anything...

Secondly, both the lowbeam and highbeam light on the passenger side are considerably darker than the driver's side ones... I though that they just needed alignment, but on a closer look there is condensation inside of the light... There does not even look like there is a seal on the light though :shrug:

Those torx screws are the alignment screws. But I use a socket and an electric screwdriver, thats the only way I can tell if they are moving at all.

You know I had a similar issue with my passenger headlight. I cleared them, took them out and "washed" the inside of them and replaced the bulbs and it still a dimmer look than the driver side. Even after I replaced the headlights and did the high in the low mod, it still had the dimmer look.

HIDs fixed it though. :cool:

Last edited:
You do align them with the two torx/allen head screws. I think the one on the outside moves it up and down, and the middle one moves it laterally. I can't exactly recall but IIRC that's how it goes. As for the passenger side being dim, it could just be that you need new bulbs. And yes, there are seals on these lights. If there is condensation you should bake them open and reseal them while in a dry room.

Back