• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

motorcraft 820S oil filter thread

BrApple

No Life But CEG
does anyone know if the thread on a 820S oil filter is the same as a FL1A filter? I found that the FL1A is 3/4-16 in thread. if they are not the same does anyone know if a filter that has the same thread but is shorter?

Last edited:
Well, umm... the parts guy at the base auto skills center pulled up the wrong filter on the computer. Wouldn't screw on the SVT oil cooler dealie. Pulled my old one out of the trash and compared numbers, totally different. I can't remember the number, but maybe it was for a regular V6?

No, the FL1 uses conventional SAE threads. The FL820S uses Metric threads.

yeah I found that after doing some more web searching last night.

can anyone still point me to a filter with the same thread as the FL1A but isn't as tall?

Just kinda wondering, if the FL-300 is shorter, how does that affect the flow of oil through the filtering media/flow rate? What I mean is, does the oil flow through the FL-300 at a rate that is close enough to the FL1A that the difference in size doesn't matter?

Just kinda wondering, if the FL-300 is shorter, how does that affect the flow of oil through the filtering media/flow rate? What I mean is, does the oil flow through the FL-300 at a rate that is close enough to the FL1A that the difference in size doesn't matter?

I think it would be more about filtering area .... I compaired the Wix eqivalent of the FL1A and FL300 and they had near the same specs ...

and I found that alot of owners of other manufacters that have a cross reference and interchangability like using motorcraft filters

BrApple, I know you said you found the thread size of the 820S but just in case anyone is wondering, it's a 22mm x 1.5 Took me a while to find that info when I was looking for block adapters for relocating the oil filter.

Are moving your relocated oil filter into a different location?

BrApple, I know you said you found the thread size of the 820S but just in case anyone is wondering, it's a 22mm x 1.5 Took me a while to find that info when I was looking for block adapters for relocating the oil filter.

Are moving your relocated oil filter into a different location?

yes I move it last night. It was previously on the drivers side behind the front bumper above the horn. Because teh NPG turbo kit has the air filter and intercooler pipes running in that area I needed to move it. So I moved it to the passanger side infront of the washer fluid tank. I was goign to use two 90 fittings so I could attach the hoses but I could only install one. So I am alittel concerned over that. But what happened was the frame has some raised parts in it so I didn't put the filter as high as I could. Because the FL1A is so large it contacts the fog lamp when I put the bumper back on. I could move the whole think up and back alittle but its not going to sit to well on the frame. So my thought was to see if I could use the FL820S by swapping the threaded insert or now I will try a FL300 since its the same as the FL1A but shorter. The Wix equivalent filters say is about an inch shorter and that should be enough to clear the fog lamp. Still not set on keeping this if I can work something else out on the 3L as it might be better because of the turbo .... but I also want to keep it because it put my electric oil pressure and temp sensors right after the oil pump where at least the pressure guage reads the best.

ah, ok. Yeah, the FL-1A filter is quite large and there isn't much room in that area. I mounted mine where you previously had yours. Didn't have enough room under the battery like I want since I am putting a breather box there as well. Worked out nicely though, thanks for the tip.

yeah the drivers side is the best place for it.

you said that you used AN lines and fittings? could you tell me where you got all of that. I think a screw in 90 degree connection to a hose would work great in my case now.

Last edited:
can't see the pic at work but did you use swizle fittings and what size line? and I take it the swivel means that fitting turns seperate from the nut?

the FL-300 is not the same. i use them on my Zetec (only cause i cant get an FL-200 at advance auto) i compared the oil filters from both the zetec and the SVT after changing the oil in both a few months ago. they are different.

an FL-300 isnt exactly small anyways. its the same length as a 200 but fatter.

the FL-300 is not the same. i use them on my Zetec (only cause i cant get an FL-200 at advance auto) i compared the oil filters from both the zetec and the SVT after changing the oil in both a few months ago. they are different.

an FL-300 isnt exactly small anyways. its the same length as a 200 but fatter.

I know the FL300 isn't the same as the FL820S ... trying to find a filter to use on my remote oil filter that is short in height then a FL1A because of space .... the FL300 is what I want for that ...

I also use the FL300 on my zetec ...

yeah, I used swivel seal fittings. I prefer those cause if you use auto-fit and don't get the fitting clocked right (only really applies when not using straight fittings) you have no way to rotate the fitting into the position you need.

The nut and socket rotate with the hose around the tube part of the fitting.

I used -10. It has an inside diameter of about 1/2". After speaking with the guy from that site and telling him the car/engine/rated HP, he informed me that I should use -10 and V6's in general should use -10 (maybe higher if you are running a lot of HP). He said I4 engines can go with -8 for street use but -10 for track use.

Back