• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Another UK Mondeo Owners Car

StuartH

New CEG'er
Hello CEG'ers, having just completed the latest round of mods to my car I thought I would get some pictures up on here to see what you think of my Amparo Blue Mondeo 1.8 "Verona" special edition. ("Wilma", due to the number plate)

The story starts with the first 2 pictures, which are a completely standard car - as I bought her in November 2006.
MondyAsBought2.jpg

MondyAsBought1.jpg

Then I got the bug and got started on the modifications. The front grill was custom made because I think Chrome suits the blue, fog lights added, blue side repeaters, chrome tailgate trim, new plates with chrome surrounds, debadge, replacement of "Verona" sail panels with "Mondeo" items, and a 30mm suspension drop saw the outside more to my taste...
CleaningFrenzy010.jpg

CleaningFrenzy015.jpg

Under the bonnet there was just a Bomz induction kit, and a chrome spark plug cover along with blue hose covers.
d782419b.jpg

So that was that, this was July '07 and she stayed like this for nearly 4 months. Then I did some mild engine work to bring power up to 129.2bhp which involved 2.0 cams, throttle body and a remap.
Also added some Ghia/ST24 12 spoke wheels to make her look like this in November '07 (1 year since original purchase)....
SP_A0064.jpg

SP_A0065.jpg

Then I started collecting parts for the next "phase" of my plan. Original idea of a homemade front splitter was abandoned early on because of lack of skill! I then sourced one from eBay Germany that I liked the look of - I had decided a long time ago that I didn't want to go down the full ST kit route, I just wanted something a little different but still subtle.
The rear bumper is from a Zetec-S and is genuine. I wanted to use a Zetec-S bumper so the exhaust is on the right side (ie. the left side) because I personally prefer that to a twin exit on a 4 pot and I didn't want to use an ST24 right exit exhaust (I see that as pretending the car is something it's not) - the bumper was a lucky eBay find, Zetec-S bumpers are like rocking horse poo and I only paid £30.
The side skirts are ST and are genuine, and brand new. I got a good deal on these from the Ford Parts UK website.
The front splitter is aftermarket on the standard bumper. I think it looks superb.
Also colour coded electric mirrors (converted from manual) and colour coded door handles.
Also added a manifold cover in stainless steel.
16 months since I bought her, and she has been transformed into how I originally dreamed she would be. I knew I wanted something different to the norm but still subtle - something that suits the lines of the original car and something that could have been standard if Ford had chosen a different style.
So. This is how she looks now....
Kit011.jpg

Kit012.jpg

Kit003.jpg

I think that's the exterior finished now, I can't think of anything else I want to do. Comments welcome, even the negative type - I fully realise that some people won't like what I've done.

I can't believe no one has posted yet. So I guess I will be the first to say congrats and nice job. I really like everything about the car.

everything looks great. the only things I would do to it is get some better wheels/tires, tint, and maybe go a little lower.

wierd that re-chromed..yet over here de-chroming is whats up. car's come along very well so far though:cool:

Bigger wheels, low pro tires and a bit more of a drop and its hot...I love that blue though. Hot lookin mondy man!

Thanks for the comments folks,
The chrome... the normal thing to do over here is to fit the later colour coded grill/tailgate handle to the earlier cars, and mostly that looks great and is the way to go - I decided that with the car being such a beautiful colour, it needed to be highlighted and fitted the chrome meshed grill as an experiment. Once I was happy that the grill helped the car, I fitted the tailgate handle and numberplate surrounds. The tailgate looks a lot better with the chrome highlights in my opinion, and the grill really makes the front of the car a little "different".
The wheels and suspension.
I really can't go much lower, the lowest part of the car now is only 6" off the deck and I live in a very rural part of the UK where the roads are awful. It only just gets off my driveway as it is now! Plus, it needs to remain comfortable and practical.
The wheels, I do plan to get some 17's onto it at some point but for now the 12 spokes look really nice and give it an almost "factory" look - which I quite like. It's a shame that Ford only fitted 17" wheels to the ST200, I would love some Ford 17" rims to keep the "almost factory" thing going, but there aren't many around!

Interior next....

Hey Stuart, I must have missed this post, You know my thoughts on your car, I love it mate.

Nice to see you on here chap:cool:

Back