• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Got 'er Back!

99RedCSVT

Veteran CEG'er
Just got my CSVT back from the d-bag that decided he didn't want to work on it. So myself along with the mastermind kscontourkid (Tom) are going to be 3L swapping to revive the 'tour. I bought the car for $20. Got the 3L off ebay for $400. I'm happy.

DSCI0058.jpg

I was surprised to see these bars. (sorry photobucket = no flipping)

DSCI0060.jpg

Out of a '02 Taurus with 96K.

DSCI0059.jpg

Front strut bar. I think the plug wires are 9mm, could be 8.

DSCI0057.jpg

Koni yellows front

DSCI0056.jpg

Koni yellows back

DSCI0055.jpg

Rear strut bar

DSCI0054.jpg

Dumb tow truck driver. Can this be fixed or have to replace?

DSCI0053.jpg

Some scuffs on bumper. Need grill and 1 jack point cover. That's frost, not paint damage.

DSCI0052.jpg

Kinda a lot of miles but no rust to be found so far. Other than on the welds of the stablizer bars.

...and to just think I was going to give up hope. Thanks to this site and some local CEG'ers, she's in the works. Will post pics after 3L install this weekend. I can't wait...

oh just remembered, the owner is giving me some stainless steel brake lines for rear (front ones are installed) along with 2 manuals he has.:laugh:

wait, you payed $400 for a 96k mile engine, sorry but you got ripped off .... but good luck with the build

but he did buy the car for $20, so it kinda evens out! :laugh: That motor has too many miles, I wouldn't waste the time with that one.....fyi

but he did buy the car for $20, so it kinda evens out! :laugh: That motor has too many miles, I wouldn't waste the time with that one.....fyi

this is true, $20 isn't bad at all :laugh: ... but yeah way to many miles on the engine ... I got a 17k one for $300 ...

this is true, $20 isn't bad at all :laugh: ... but yeah way to many miles on the engine ... I got a 17k one for $300 ...

Well I kinda sorta only got it for $50. My van that I bought for $50 basically paid for the motor when I had it scraped. I ended up getting $350 from the place I took it. So i'm happy with that. The motor was local, in topeka, and was delivered for cheap. I couldn't find any other motors on ebay or locally for cheaper with lower miles. Plus, the price of rebuilding the broke 2.5 was over the price of the motor, I think it evens out. I've been in a rush for this car since I'm car-less right now. I'll take what I can get. :)

Last edited:
The tow truck driver broke that? If so, he should be the one getting that fixed for you.:blackeye:

At most, i'm going to have them just not charge me for the tow. I honestly don't want to hassle with body shops and stuff. I am just going to get some plastic repair stuff at advanced auto parts that is sandible and repaint it.

thats the RSTB i have! anyone know who made it?
Let me go check....*runs out to car*.....i got nothing other than dust on me. However, it only bolts to the strut towers. Is that normal? I thought it was to the top bolt(s)?

Last edited:
hell, even if the car couldn't of been resurrected, $20 for koni yellows, front and rear sway bars ? :laugh: [borat]Nice![/borat]

I think that was one of the BAT RSTBs from back in the day. :shrug:

That rear bumper can be fixed. Find someone that can do ABS plastic repair. I've had it done before and it's completely flexible as OEM. Not fiberglassed over or simply melted back together as some places will try to do.

Good luck with the rebuild. Have a good look at that motor first before plopping it in there.

I think that was one of the BAT RSTBs from back in the day. :shrug:

That rear bumper can be fixed. Find someone that can do ABS plastic repair. I've had it done before and it's completely flexible as OEM. Not fiberglassed over or simply melted back together as some places will try to do.

Good luck with the rebuild. Have a good look at that motor first before plopping it in there.

Yeah, Tom (kscontourkid) and I took a gander at it after I got it. It seems to be in good shape, also with a bunch of stuff we thought wouldn't come with it. All that it needs is the SVT cams and the accessory drive stuff.

hell, even if the car couldn't of been resurrected, $20 for koni yellows, front and rear sway bars ? :laugh: [borat]Nice![/borat]

I couldn't agree more:laugh:. I'll keep everyone posted if it'll turn into a parts car.

Just to give everyone an update. I picked up the title today from the owners (after them finding it!) ...signed it over to me and just like another enthusiast, he just gave me the car. The agreement was $20 but I guess he wanted to see it re-built! Take a deep breath and not hate me..:laugh:

Second note, he has a set of Goodyear F1's with 70% left also giving me with the already mentioned brake lines and manuals. I'll give you a chance to hate...

:laugh:That's okay. You can hate me as we are building up our cars this weekend. Did you end up getting your parts for your SVT intake I'm giving you?

If I had that car, I would have just parted it out and made bank. Then look for something with a lil more to worth with to begin with. Just my 2 Cents... HAHA! Also, guess we wont be seeing you running at Heartland Park, April 4th here in a couple weeks. :laugh:

Last edited:
I hope you do a complete rebuild of that 3L. All that work for an engine that's at the end of it's life? :help:

i wouldnt say its at the end of its life..its only 96k:shrug:
if you dont use that front valve cover i'll take it

Back