• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

quick ques

kcobra

Veteran CEG'er
I am planing to do a 3.0 build this spring and right now i am gathering info. anyway i searched about headers and found a post claiming that the headers were not worth much more than gutted stock manifolds. i am just curious if anyone can confirm this. thanks

WTH? :confused:

Headers are just about THE bang for the buck modification you can perform to this platform. Aside from FI and a 3L engine, its the TOP one.

Period.

just about anything!

If you are trying to convince yourself to skip the headers and gut the precats instead, and you are rationalizing this by saying, "Well, the difference won't be THAT much!" then why are you starting a project like a 3L?

The difference is very noticeable, and the cost is NOTHING compared to any other form of increase that is even CLOSE to measurable.

i am doing the 3L because i have to put a new trans in my car. and i figure i might as well put a fresh motor in. if the headers are only worth 10 hp over gutted precats ill save my 660. if i can find the headers for the 200 i have seen on the old forums you bet they are going on the car but if i cant find a used set or the 200 uncoated set i might just gut the precats. trying to figure out what i am going to do. just looking for some answers

Don't think of headers in terms of horsepower as it is misleading. They boost low end torque by around 7-10 ft-lbs throughout the low range. That turns out to be a HUGE improvement for either the 2.5L or the 3L. Especially the 2.5L as it needs more low end torque.

thanks warmonger that was the answer i was looking for i was not looking for why do a 3L if you arnt going to do headers. we all have different reasons for doing or not doing things such as monitary constraints or a wife.

The difference is very noticeable, and the cost is NOTHING compared to any other form of increase that is even CLOSE to measurable.

Headers are just about THE bang for the buck modification you can perform to this platform. Aside from FI and a 3L engine, its the TOP one.

Period.

?? :confused:

thanks warmonger that was the answer i was looking for i was not looking for why do a 3L if you arnt going to do headers. we all have different reasons for doing or not doing things such as monitary constraints or a wife.

I understand but everyone was pretty much correct, just the phrasing I guess.

If you understand that more torque means more horsepower then the more horsepower statement is correct. The distinction will be in WHERE in the rpm range you get that increased HP. The peak horsepower on an engine without headers may be the same as an engine with headers but the one with the headers will make more HP at specific rpms. So you get more area under the curve with the headers than without.

I agree with the earlier posts and want to add...

You said you can't find a set of uncoated headers for $200. Talk to Marty at MSDSINC and you can get them brand new for $200. That $650 price is for the full kit, if you just want the headers it's $200.

I agree with the earlier posts and want to add...

You said you can't find a set of uncoated headers for $200. Talk to Marty at MSDSINC and you can get them brand new for $200. That $650 price is for the full kit, if you just want the headers it's $200.

Whats the difference between the headers and the full kit? A Y-pipe?

Well, there are many options. You can search the "old forums" under the "group buy" section...and search the word "grassroots". Basically, you can buy ncoated headers for $200. The hardware and gaskets cost $50 if you need them, and the y-pipe is an additional cost. Then if you want MIL eliminators hats an additional charge, and the dif coatings on the headers/y-pipe are another charge.

Headers vs gutted precats, that's a no-brainer. If you're trying to save some dough, MSDS y-pipe vs. optimized y-pipe, that's something you might want to think about.

You could always install a better y-pipe afterwards and on the car. Jackstands and hand tools are all you need. Headers installed on the car seems to be a bit more tricky.

Back