• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

15" Rockford Fosgate P2's

tropictour

CEG'er
I was wondering what kind of box to run these in. I have been told to build a vented box with the vent in the middle of subs. And others have recommended a sealed box. It will be 2 15" P2's in my 99 SE. Run by a Directed 1200W amp. Also on a side note, what size capaciter should I get and do CEG members get a dicount at Knukoncepts? And will 4G wire be ok?
-tropictour

4 gauge is decent size.....to me anyway......

If your gonna rock 2 15's Id say vented, ported.....

12's I'd say sealed, but IMO I believe 15's are more at home in a vented box.

Capacitors are cool to look at, but I guess theres mixed opinions about if those damn things even do anything beneficial.....

Well supposedly they provide the amp with steady power when the bass drops really low, hence needing more amperage. :shrug:
-tropictour

I have a 1.5 farad cap for my 400 watt amp and it keeps the lights from dimming. The general rule is 1 farad for every 1,000 watts. I'd say go two farad if you want a cap.

4 gauge is decent size.....to me anyway......

If your gonna rock 2 15's Id say vented, ported.....

12's I'd say sealed, but IMO I believe 15's are more at home in a vented box.

Capacitors are cool to look at, but I guess theres mixed opinions about if those damn things even do anything beneficial.....
try fittin a PROPERLY sized ported box for 2 15s in a trunk of a Contour. Unless you build it inside the car it'2 not gonna happen.. 2 15s are gonna need a minimum of 6 cubes. 7-8 cubes recommended.

Sealed enclosure, easier, no tuning required really...

Vented/Ported, you'll have to tune it...

I'd look into the requirements for cubic ft needed for the subs, and see what the difference between vented and sealed is and see if you'll even have enough space in your trunk to setup a box.....

I have 3 10" P3's in a sealed box and they fit just perfect in my trunk..... \m/

Sealed enclosure, easier, no tuning required really...

Vented/Ported, you'll have to tune it...

I'd look into the requirements for cubic ft needed for the subs, and see what the difference between vented and sealed is and see if you'll even have enough space in your trunk to setup a box.....

I have 3 10" P3's in a sealed box and they fit just perfect in my trunk..... \m/
2.66 cu. ft. Vented

1.58 cu. ft. Sealed

Thats for each sub. Im gonna swing by tomorrow and talk to the guy that will build my box and see what he can come up with. If it wont fit I'll just throw 1 in and sell the other.
-tropictour

i would go with a sealed box.
on your amp (Directed??:shrug: ), set your ohms to the lowest response.
set your bass at about mid.
i would set the head unit equalizer with
30% "first slot" bass.
0% "second slot" bass.
3rd & 4th slots are usually for mids and should be set at about 30%
5th & 6th are usually for highs and should be set at 100%
3-6 no effect on subs.

with this set up, IMO you get the best response from the subs and interior speakers!:cool:

the effect you want to get is pure deep "tight" bass response and not a "loose" response which 15"s are known for.

i you let down your psngr side rear seat, your gonna get the response you're looking for throughout the car with outsiders hearing a clear response.
Your back seat up will restrict the sound more to the interior
**though outsiders could still hear!!**.
but it also traps that pressure and you will start hearing alot of rattles.

i would go with a sealed box.
on your amp (Directed??:shrug: ), set your ohms to the lowest response.
set your bass at about mid.
i would set the head unit equalizer with
30% "first slot" bass.
0% "second slot" bass.
3rd & 4th slots are usually for mids and should be set at about 30%
5th & 6th are usually for highs and should be set at 100%
3-6 no effect on subs.

with this set up, IMO you get the best response from the subs and interior speakers!:cool:

the effect you want to get is pure deep "tight" bass response and not a "loose" response which 15"s are known for.

i you let down your psngr side rear seat, your gonna get the response you're looking for throughout the car with outsiders hearing a clear response.
Your back seat up will restrict the sound more to the interior
**though outsiders could still hear!!**.
but it also traps that pressure and you will start hearing alot of rattles.

In any case, I would dynamat any sub install, normally at work it's not a big thing, but my subs sound loud in my car with the seats up, but when I get out, there is minimal reverb outside the car... which to me is Ideal, I'd rather have the sound inside the car, then advertising to everyone around me...

I've heard both sides on whether Caps really work. All I know is mine stopped my lights from dimming everytime the bass hit. So I guess it works. :shrug:

and my 1 farad cap didn't stop my lights from dimming. i had one 500wrms amp running to a sub. so i guess it all depends... it was probably my cheapo battery though

In any case, I would dynamat any sub install, normally at work it's not a big thing, but my subs sound loud in my car with the seats up, but when I get out, there is minimal reverb outside the car... which to me is Ideal, I'd rather have the sound inside the car, then advertising to everyone around me...

Agree 100%, was a problem for me that it seemed other noticed my bass more than i could inside the car...

Agree 100%, was a problem for me that it seemed other noticed my bass more than i could inside the car...

We've actually had people ask if we could install subs in their rear truck box with a tauno covers... when told they wouldn't here it, they didn't care, they just wanted to be loud... which of course pissed off popps since he was paying for it... we ended up not installing it in the rear, but in the cab in the end... still some people are stupid like that...

Back