• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Best way to clean an engine

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
i'm wondering who has the best way to clean an engine for a car show...

My way of doing it includes these steps...
1.scrub entire engine with tootbrush and Simple Green/Degreaser
2.wipe down engine with blue shop rags
3.check for left over dirt and repeat step 1 if necessary
4.for that show car shine, spray tire shine on all of engine and wipe off with rag.

how do u guys go about cleaning ur engines???

lift hood
blow dust off
close hood
smile, in that exact order:laugh:

1. spray whole engine bay with simple green
2. let stand for 5 mins
3. spray down engine bay with hose (no pressure washers here!)
4. pull plug wires.
5. clean plug wires, blow air w/ compressor down into plug holes
6. dialectic grease plug wires
7. install plug wires.

8. go get it dirty again

this cleaning that i'm talking about is when u go from this...
GandAm034.jpg

to this...
IMG_0150.jpg

1 - remove hood
2 - remove engine
3 - spraypaint engine bay :laugh:
4 - fix broken stuff (if required)
5 - put it back together and hope it all works :crazy:

lmao, i know how that goes. My Tempo's engine looked like new when i showed the car last year cuz i had to replace the engine.

haha yea, i know how that goes, i spent 4 6 hour days detailing my Ford Tempo's engine for a car show that i couldnt make it to. i'll tell ya, after 249,000 miles, a car can pick up a lot of dirt.

1. spray whole engine bay with simple green
2. let stand for 5 mins
3. spray down engine bay with hose (no pressure washers here!)
4. pull plug wires.
5. clean plug wires, blow air w/ compressor down into plug holes
6. dialectic grease plug wires
7. install plug wires.

8. go get it dirty again

Don't you tape off wire harnesses that you don't want to get wet? I'm just curious because you mentioned no pressure washers...

Don't you tape off wire harnesses that you don't want to get wet? I'm just curious because you mentioned no pressure washers...

You'll be alright if you avoid dousing the electronics. Theyr'e pretty sealed, for the most part, so some light water won't be an issue. And with the car off, not to much will be hot, save the items that are constant on.

I use that gunk garbage and made everything DULL..and burnt out my crank sensor as well i think..Had to buy a new one to cancel my CEL.

Anyways i usally always use Grease lightning and then a clear tire shine.

I use that gunk garbage and made everything DULL..and burnt out my crank sensor as well i think..Had to buy a new one to cancel my CEL.

Anyways i usally always use Grease lightning and then a clear tire shine.

that gunk engine bright garbage also will take the paint in your engine bay down to the primmer. beware

this cleaning that i'm talking about is when u go from this...
GandAm034.jpg

to this...
IMG_0150.jpg

What kind of car is this? Looks like a contour but with some weird engine. Tempo maybe?
Just wondering since it's got the intake in the front and exhaust out the back of the head.

EDIT: Just looked closer and saw the QUAD4 on the valve cover. Guessing it's a saturn sl.

that is the infamous PITA known as a Quad 4, mostly used in Oldsmobile I belive...not Ford...pretty sure whatever it is it was made by GM

Back